Ireland v Netherlands - Sunday, 7.45pm

The pseudo intellectuals

All 20 of them?

Smallbone has a lot of improving to do. Woeful v Greece.

That many?

Martin Brehony would be embarrassed to write that

We need to find out who sent Ken and why…

These lads all pushed for the holistic, centre halves splitting, playing out from the back, template football, paint by numbers nonsense that has all the hipsters and idealists wrapped up. They can’t go back on it

Its a results business and his results have been shit, and even his attempts at playing out have been shit. It a neither here nor there hodge podge, even if you want to play pretty you have to defend well and have defensive shape, we lose it and get pissed, mostly down the centre, way too often, even against mediocre sides.

I was all for giving the playing it out a go but it hasnt worked, Kenny hasnt worked. Maybe another fella could come in and implement a template that could get them passed the second press but i just dont think the current players have that ability. Maybe Ferguson could link it up? Moran was spectacular for the 21s. We can’t be in a situation where these lads are being brought in to an abject set up and getting beat regularly

3 Likes

I want somebody to come in and go back to route one football.

At every opportunity just launch it long.

I love that style of play.

5 Likes

Watch Robbie keanes goal v Germany in 2002. We launched to Quinn and he knocks it down to Robbie.

What was so wrong with that?

Finnan to Quinn to Keane.

Doherty would carry it to half way, play it back to Cullen who’d play it across to Stevens and in to Duffy who’d toe jam it out wide to nobody

McCarthy’s team then could actually play ball too but change it up when needed. Jesus we used to be very, very good

1 Like

That passing it sideways stuff is tedious crap.

What’s the jack Charlton quote? The fans hate it but the opposition hate it even more or something to that effect.

Even shane long v Germany. We just lumped it long.

You can play nice football on the ground but be direct. United under Ferguson weren’t a long ball team but they got it wide early and got it whipped in early…

This playing out from the back breaks down when you’re passing for the sake of it. The passing has to be done with purpose

1 Like

You are often wrong but bang on there.

Tomorrows an awful example of hoping we’ll win but a bad beating could be better in the long term.

He’ll survive the campaign regardless.

I wonder does Evan Ferguson make the job more attractive

To who? We won’t be dining at the top table when it comes to a successor. The money will have to be right

Just potential candidates they might see some more prospects with him

Much like hurling

Would any manager, if he inherited our squad in league 1 or the lower championship, decide that “hey I’ve a team of ballers here” and not play direct? Would he fuck!

1 Like