Ireland v Netherlands - Sunday, 7.45pm

For some reason you can just say what you like about Martin o Neill on this forum.

Fellas have very short memories.

He done an excellent job at villa too.

Evander Sno :smiley:

I would say less than 5% of Celtic season ticket holders were happy when O’Neill resigned. More than half were happy when Strachan left. Because the football under Strachan had become really boring and his selections and tactics were ultra conservative.

These are the types of things you might know if you were watching Celtic regularly. But unfortunately Wikipedia doesn’t have that level of insight so you may as well just remain misinformed.

That’s fairly scuttery. What are his main bad results outside losing to the big boys?

I don’t think it has occurred to you that you’re complaining about supposedly boring winning football on the same thread as people are lamenting the absence of boring winning football from the Irish team.

I found Strachan’s Celtic anything but boring and the run in of the 2007/08 season to win the three in a row from behind was probably the most exciting thing I’ve experienced as a Celtic supporter.

It’s up to you if you found the wins over Benfica, Manchester United, Spartak Moscow, AC Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk and Champions League group qualification boring. I didn’t.

Barely scraping a point per game in qualifying is poor even with the mitigating factors of a tough draw (caused by his poor results in the Nations League). Bad results have been failure to beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan at home, failure to beat the worst Bulgarian team in living memory home and away, and an away defeat in Armenia. Losing home and away to Finland wasn’t great either. As I’ve said before though, the 5 team group has been blessing in disguise for Kenny because we’ll only have played 16 qualifiers rather than 20. The more games against teams of our own level and below, the more embarrassment we would have had.

Watching Wales here. An over the hill Aaron Ramsey in a different league to anything we have in Midfield. Lads here are deluded. Josh Cullen has been a massive disappointment.

Of course it occurred to me you moron. That’s why I made that very point.

Strachan picking Chris Killen and Wilo Flood ahead of McGeady doomed him. If O’Neill was conservative, Strachan took it to another level.

He had some success and did well overall. I liked him. He didn’t transform the club the way O’Neill did but did it a grand job.

It’s a very very poor record. Scotland win at home was the undoubted highlight. There was some buzz around the place that day. Amazing how much nearly everyone really wanted him to do well. He’s a very odd character too which makes it even stranger

1 Like

He’s a LOI man and he his teams played good football. Most real soccer men would want him to do well from the start.

He isn’t a bad sort. He’s just awkward and is always looking to absolve himself of blame for results.

1 Like

No more so than any other manager I would say.

Brian Kerr on there giving out about such things. The ironing of it.

1 Like

Its more evident with kenny now because of the accumulation of poor results. Its grim

I was at Ibrox when Reggie Blinker was cheered onto the pitch by the huns :grimacing:
He did let me out in traffic once though. He cut quite the dash in the west end in a convertible Audi.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a manager as clueless in the media as Stephen Kenny. He speaks like English is his second language. He’s harmless and probably a nice man but he’s on €400 or €500k a year so it’s hard to have too much sympathy for him. Even the much maligned Steve Kean at Blackburn spoke a better game than Kenny. Kenny plucks the most bizarre stats that have obviously pre-prepared.

There was something likeable about Strachan, and something unlikeable about him

Kerrs results were way better. And he was knifed. Id imagine it annoys him.

Kerr’s results simply weren’t good enough where it mattered, in big competitive games.

He had eight games against our main qualification opponents and failed to win any.

Russia home September '03 - 1-1 - a performance which was limp as fuck
Switzerland away October '03 - a disaster
Switzerland away September '04 - a very poor performance and a lucky 1-1 - Ireland spent much of the game camped in their own box yet Kerr’s immediate response was “we were cavalier”
France away October '04 - a big missed opportunity against a rabble
Israel away March '05 - massive missed opportunity, we deserved to get caught
Israel home June '05 - a shambles after a great start
France home September '05 - limp
Switzerland home October '05 - limper

Performances in other competitive games were not up to standard. Albania at home in June '03 was a very lucky escape. Cyprus in the penultimate game in October '05 was an even luckier escape, we were dogshit. I’m pretty sure the Faroes away in June '05 was poor too.

Kerr’s teams had a habit of getting an early lead and then immediately falling back in chaotic defence and conceding. We couldn’t kill teams off, we couldn’t dig out wins against qualification opponents.

1 Like

That said, Trapattoni also failed to win a group game against our main qualification opponents in three campaigns.

I suppose he did beat Estonia and beat France in 90 minutes but it wasn’t a 90 minute game. And I suppose you can give him beating Armenia, but they were a fourth seed, or was it a fifth seed.

Italy x 2
Bulgaria x 2
Russia x 2
Slovakia x 2
Sweden x 2
Austria x 2
Germany x 1

It was a direct comparison between kerrs results and Kennys.
Most ireland managers get draws against our immediate rivals. It has often been enough to qualify by beating the shit teams and getting one under par against the direct rivals in the group. We were solid and very hard to beat under Kerr. We’d kill for that now.
Kenny has the horrendous habit of losing games to teams we should be beating/drawing with.

Spock seems to get no blame for our poor seeding and shit group which is completely down to his shit management

5 Likes

It’s a thundering disgrace uefa dont count passes between centre halves towards ranking points.

9 Likes