Ireland v Netherlands - Sunday, 7.45pm

Kerr was on TV3 earlier spouting that we should be matching Scotland’s results. Does he do any research? Scotland’s midfield light years ahead of us

Kerr never stood a chance. Wanted the players to watch 8 hours of DVDs on Georgia when the lads just wanted to have the craic. Were delighted when Stan brought back Mick Byrne to jump on the bed for their amusement.

24 Likes

:grinning::grinning:

Despite all of Kerr being about the detail in preparation and full of ‘knowledge’, his tactics amounted to sticking on Gary Doherty towards the end of the match. And Ian Harte to deliver the ball to him.

1 Like

The Switzerland game at home for 2006 World Cup finished Kerr. Woeful performance.

Against a side that went on to top their group in the world cup, a group that included eventual winners, France?

It was the 2 Israel games that did it for Kerr, for me anyway, particularly the home game.

1 Like

@Aertel220, you’re a good man to review the data so was Stan’s reign more successful than Spock’s? Stan actually had a competitive win against Wales & didn’t we beat Slovakia 1-0 at home under him too? That famous pummelling in Cyprus was obviously fatal for him but think we limped on for another while before he was replaced. Scotland at home in the Nations League is Spock’s only win against anyone you’d consider historically at or above our level, is it not?

Kenny’s had so many piss poor results that many people forget them. And as @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy referenced, he’s taken to highlighting how difficult our current group is when it’s those games against the likes of Luxembourg, Finland, Bulgaria, Armenia, Azerbaijan etc that have put us down the seedlings.

1 Like

We didn’t create a chance in a must win game.

To be fair Stan had a better quality of player at his disposal but it wasn’t quite as much of a disaster. 4 points against both Slovakia and Wales was actually relatively positive even if the Welsh were at a low enough ebb. The draw against Germany (H) in 2007 was basically a carbon copy of Portugal (H) in the last campaign. Stan’s team beating Sweden 3-0 draws a lot of parallels to the 3-0 against Scotland. Although Kenny never had a thumping victory like the 4-0 away day in Denmark in a 2007 friendly.

I suppose it depends how much significance we place on the UEFA Nations League. Initially I had a MO’N level of disdain and viewed them as glorified friendlies that would have us locked in an endless cycle of playing Denmark and Wales at least twice a year but I’ve warmed to them in the last couple of years. They are important for seedings after all. The first campaign was an utter disaster. Think we only scored once in 6 games against Bulgaria, Finland and Wales. If we’d managed a win in Yerevan then the last campaign would have been perfectly reasonable. Although I had the impression that the Ukrainians had little or no interest and still took 4 points off us.

Stan was definitely more intimidating than Kenny. Although Kenny had more managerial accolades. Stan did a better job overall and is only chastised because of the Cyprus results. I think I’ll give Stan the slight nod if I had to pick a man to manage Ireland tomorrow night.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

I think you’d be a strong addition to the likes of Fitch, Moodys or S&P as a research analyst.

6 Likes

Ker had much better players than Kenny. That’s not a defence of Kenny because we’re shit under him. It’s to say that Kerr underperformed with what he had. That generation should have been at its peak under him.

Kenny has been lucky gift grub or the likes havent done him. That absolutely killed stan. I’m the gyaffer, you tell me, don’t have a Scooby Doo etc were all catch phrases that turned him into a figure of ridicule.

Stan would definitely have got another campaign if it hadn’t been for Cyprus. We were excellent in that 2-2 draw away to Slovakia but somehow conspired to throw away the win. Things felt like they were looking up after 85 minutes of that with outstanding young midfielder Stephen Ireland running the show.

Stan had an aggregate 8-0 victory in international Test Matches against the crack Scandinavians Sweden and Denmark. That shouldn’t be forgotten.

Loss of Stephen Ireland set Irish football back years in my opinion. Outstanding player.

1 Like

This is a great watch. That equaliser :grin:

2 Likes

Spock lost to Luxembourg, who were beaten 9 nil tonight by Portugal. This is our level under this clown

Spock drew 0-0 with Portugal and nearly beat them away from home. Spock in.

1 Like

That was Portugals version of Macedonia

That’s superb.

I’d no recollection of any of those goals but I remember Stan being ridiculed for post match comments. He said something along the lines of it being very difficult to win matches in February.

Any idea who the commentator is? I’m going to plump for Nick London, a voice I haven’t heard in years.