Ireland v Norway friendly

That’s a pretty heartless surrender.

Duff is faster than McGeady.
Ok McGeady might be faster in actual speed but I’ve more confidence in Duff beating a full back.

Aw that’s terribly weak honey.

You and Kev are a real pair of prize chumps.

Or just like those, uncultured in different genres of music, refers to those who are as music snobs.

I know whats what. When the snorkel puts the rain jacket on the fish finger the jack gets cash to pile on the chip baskets.

Kinda stomping all over Rockos point there farmer.

:clap:

Hard to argue with that.

Got away with a blatent handball in the box against Birmingham as well…Defensively he is still very green, by his own admissions…But he is a competitor and will get stuck in, this will make up for some of his defensive shortcomings but not all of them…He has potential but as I said in the russia/slovakia thread it is far more important for his development at the moment to nail down his place with Everton between now and the new year as opposed to winning international caps

But he didn’t did he? :rolleyes:

How many defenders get away with incidents like that. I’m thinking back on real massive errors of judgement, can’t remember anything in particular.

That may be what you think you’ve seen but as someone who has watched far more of McGeady than you I can categorically state his speed improvements occurred about 3 seasons ago and he hasn’t really gotten any quicker since. Watch his performance for Celtic against Benfica in the Champions League to see him flying past the full back every time maybe.

Of course some players can train with some injuries but McGeady missed about 3 months with a calf injury this summer. It’s a touch unlikely that he improved his pace over that same period.

Look, I’m not arguing that you’ve noticed his speed increase in the last couple of months. That may well be the case. I’m simply pointing out that it actually happened a couple of years ago and he’s no quicker now than he was a year ago.

fair enough, my point, and hope, is that he improved in my eyes and will continue to improve as he is nowhere near his peak yet.

He played 10 games or so. He did well but playing 10 games in England’s second tier is not proving yourself in an international context. How many games have the likes of Hoolahan and Garvan and Morrisson and others played at that level? It’s promising but it’s far from “proving yourself.” There’s no need to stick to your guns on an argument when you’re blatantly wrong.

I don’t think anyone is disputing the fact that he’s a very good prospect. But that’s all he is at the moment. He can’t get into a struggling Everton team in his natural position. He’s played a bit on the wing which is not where Ireland need/want him with Duff, McGeady, Lawrence, Fahey, Hunt all very capable there.

He’s been lucky with two penalty decisions in his appearances so far. He was also badly exposed defensively in the Europa League last season. I wouldn’t write him off on the back of those errors obviously and there’s every chance that he will continue to improve but the main point is that he needs to improve. He will but it’s a question of how much. On current performances he’s a prospect but he’s drawing attention to himself because of his performances for his age not because of the performances themselves.

Firstly i said nothing about proving himself in the championship being in an international context. In fact going by your recent posts you seem to think that its enough from an Irish point of view, if Paul Green is anything to go by. I think you are just arguing against him and looking for errors (that went unpunished) on the basis of the people who are suggesting him, while you promote others from the Championship and SPL based on performances on lower levels, your own standards are confusing.

I know one or two asked for him to be put straight in, but i never said that. In fact i said he would need a run at Everton up to Christmas, and then he could be in Irish mix in new year. A friendly obviously previous top that would be good for him.

Banal point really.
Often people who are unsure of their facts and throw out unsupported opinions that they can’t justify believe that those who actually have informed opinions to the contrary are arrogant. That’s just one of the ways of the world. Much like the unpopular nerd thinks everyone else in his class is a bully, so the buffoon on a forum thinks everyone else is arrogant.

I couldn’t care less whether McGeady’s speed improved at Celtic or Spartak, I just thought I’d point out the work done by Gregory Dupont (google him) in his development. As someone who waffles on about conditioning every day I thought you might have a small bit of interest in the facts and the science behind his improvements. It turns out you’d rather copy your clone KIB Man and just decide to stick to your original opinion despite known evidence to the contrary.

I’m not copying anyone, KIB happens to hold some of the same view as me on certain players, but so do many others here. You know, some people don’t have to watch hundreds of games of a player to form an opinion. You really have a problem with someone else disagreeing with you on anything Celtic related, its an automatic defensive position you go into. You probably don’t realise it.

On Dupont, i actually checked him out a long time back, when he was mentioned here before, he seems good, but really nothing he says is anything new and to be fair Celtic were behind the times in getting someone like that in. Maybe he has different methods of getting his point across or or whatever, but the basics don’t change. From what he says, and the players said about him, is exactly what i would be doing with our young footballers at home. Its normal practice now.

Plus Kilbane has actually performed reasonably ok in our first few matches. I would stillbe wary of him but so far so good.

The Steven Reid situation is interesting. Anyone hear his quote where he didn’t rule out a return to international football, hinting that he wouldn’t play again under Trap? There seems to be bad blood.

Technically as fine of a midfielder as we have ever had, good enough to play in a top team but a fucking crock. Terrible pity.

Think he is still struggling with fitness, has bearly played for WBA this season

I know that. He is more or less finished as a footballer but he hinted at bad blood between himself and Trap. This obviously goes back to when Trap said that he was finished after he came back from injury the last time.

Just a shame though. He always had stacks of ability, great presence, decent passer, good tackler, good general creator and a terrific shot. He was immense in the two opening matches of the last campaign.

There is a big difference between a few sly digs at an attacker when the referee isn’t looking, a la Ciro Ferrara or me in astro, and clattering into an attcker in the box, when it looked as if the keeper was going to get it, and relying on the fact that Stevie Wonder was refereeing the match.

The first game he was very good in fairness to him, not sure but think he was a bit more subdued in the second one, as he was playing on one leg…He is far better than any of our other certre midfield options when fit…Although he won his first cap in 2000 and I’d say he hasn’t even 30 caps in that time just shows you how much he struggled with injury

Great thread!

Nice to see Farmer’s back on the drugs. Steven Reid technically as good a midfield player as we’ve EVER had. What in the name of fuck.

Stephen Reid delivered jack shit at international level. Playing well in Mainz against Georgia was about the highlight. Let him go lads, Trap got it right about his injuries too. Pity he showed in flashes his potential alright at Blackburn and Millwall.

<_<

May have jumped the gun there slightly.

Are you backing down?

Let’s just say when I thought about it afterwards, it didn’t really stand up.

I actually tried to go back and edit the post but Puke the git had already quoted it.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 527234”]
But he didn’t did he? :rolleyes:

How many defenders get away with incidents like that. I’m thinking back on real massive errors of judgement, can’t remember anything in particular.

fair enough, my point, and hope, is that he improved in my eyes and will continue to improve as he is nowhere near his peak yet.

Firstly i said nothing about proving himself in the championship being in an international context. In fact going by your recent posts you seem to think that its enough from an Irish point of view, if Paul Green is anything to go by. I think you are just arguing against him and looking for errors (that went unpunished) on the basis of the people who are suggesting him, while you promote others from the Championship and SPL based on performances on lower levels, your own standards are confusing.

I know one or two asked for him to be put straight in, but i never said that. In fact i said he would need a run at Everton up to Christmas, and then he could be in Irish mix in new year. A friendly obviously previous top that would be good for him.[/quote]

You’re placing an awful lot of stock in him not being punished for those errors. That’s not a credible way to judge a player. You’re making a reasonable argument that you’re not calling for him to play now but undermining it all by defending a couple of very poor errors. Whether a penalty was awarded or not is a bit irrelevant. Penalties should have been awarded, that’s what you judge it on.

Anyway he was very culpable for at least one goal against Benfica last season too. Not that I’d be slating a player for one mistake for one goal but he hasn’t played that many games so there are only a handful of examples to choose from.

The bottom line is he looks like a good prospect but as Puke has said his ambition should be getting into that (poor) Everton defence. The international career will follow.

It’s not a question of watching hundreds of games, it’s a question of forming an opinion based on evidence or guesswork. Those who have seen McGeady play for Celtic regularly in the last couple of seasons will all say that he was one of Celtic’s quickest players, if not the quickest, in that time. He’s quicker than every full back he plays against pretty much. He’s been that quick for a few years and it was a marked improvement one season and there are various media articles at the time (one of which I linked to earlier) outlining that. Even just do a search on here for Dupont and read about the TFKCSC talking about his pace at the time.

I don’t think you’ve seen enough of him play if you think he’s quicker now than he was last season. That’s not arrogance or defensive or anything else you want to muddy the waters with. It’s just the simple truth.

Reid can’t read but he can mead with the seed from reed.

In the Irish Times it just said he was waiting on a phone call…?

“I haven’t spoken to the manager since I made the decision, but if there was a desperate need, and a few injuries, then who knows. But until I get the phone call . . .”

I’d have Reid in any day if he was fit. Even half-fit he’s far better than Green or Whelan will ever be. Duff is a crock too but should always play if he’s fit, so what’s the problem. I’d say we’d have lost that game in Montenegro if Green had been playing and not Reid.
We may never have had Paris…just think…