Ireland vs Moldova & Wales v Ireland - World Cup Qualifiers 06/10/2017 & 09/10/2017

Fixed that mate

3 Likes

We’ll get the best possible draw in playoffs, Denmark probably. Martin O’Neill is a lucky general.

1 Like

Can you make the point again without all the anglocentric comparisons please? It doesn’t serve your lickspittle, independence argument well.

1 Like

The Russian one was the one that did us. We missed an absolute sitter (Aldridge maybe?) and I remember despite the euphoria thinking that we should have won that, and then we were through.
The Dutch won the tournament did they not? (not 100% sure tbh), but they were widely considered absolutely world class at the time.

Taking a random year, say 1994 to begin with

Oooft.

18 Jun 1994 Italy v Republic of Ireland W 0-1
17 Aug 2005 Republic of Ireland v Italy L 1-2
01 Apr 2009 Italy v Republic of Ireland D 1-1
10 Oct 2009 Republic of Ireland v Italy D 2-2
07 Jun 2011 Italy v Republic of Ireland W 0-2
18 Jun 2012 Italy v Republic of Ireland L 2-0
31 May 2014 Italy v Republic of Ireland D 0-0
22 Jun 2016 Italy v Republic of Ireland W 0-1

W - 3
L - 2
D - 3

5 Likes

Headshot

I guess I shouldn’t be too vocal about cringey opposition chants all the same.

#ShoesOff

1 Like

Which Anglo centric comparisons would these be?
I’ll not be lectured by someone who’s main sporting passion is a British soccer franchise in a bit of Britain he’s only visited for the occasional bit of up the ra-ery

4 Likes

I think we had started to come into the game already by then and were getting more pressure on them. Even the Allen injury was evidence of that with Meyler putting pressure on in their half.
But they really struggled once he went off. They didn’t really create a chance of note all game, but they didn’t look like creating one once Allen went off and Ramsey went all indulgent and deep.

2 Likes

Like you say “once again”

I can’t recall the August 2005 defeat (was it a test match?) and the Euro 2012 one was effectively a dead rubber when we were already out. Italy to all intents and purposes can never beat the Irish.

1 Like

You’ll be lectured by me when I choose to lecture you.

The ones about the Championship and Huddersfield etc. This is international football. Nobody gives a shit about comparisons to second rate club football.

3 Likes

The Welsh standard is second rate club football. Celtic play second rate club football, which doesn’t seem to bother you overmuch.

Andy Reid scored, thats probably why you dont recall.

Brian Kerrs first home defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0a5lE9YY4

Exactly.

Once again Ireland deliver big in a situation where if they don’t they’re gone.

It takes some guts and nerve to deliver and Ireland deserve huge credit for it.

2 Likes

The header by Robson-Kanu from the cross by that little no fringed freak Jonny/Johnny Williams was their best / only clear cut chance - excellent save by Randolph. But agree totally on Ramsey - he was completely self indulgent when he moved to the deeper role. He dribbled the ball sideways out of play at one stage in the second half, which amused me.

Think Gilardino did the damage for Italy that night

As expected. Even you expected it, or you wouldn’t have used the phrase “once again”
The Welch are crap.
Sin e e.

1 Like

The Welch beaten and the scotch fucking up

great days

3 Likes

A lot of that Welsh team are English born .

1 Like