Ireland's health service

Tell us owl about it.

1 Like

Not even shocked by it. Standard carry on in this country. Bet not one person involved will end up in jail.

1 Like

Well all the lads involved are long dead and all the right people got paid soā€¦

Would an A&E be the best place to present yourself with flu like symptoms?

If you wanted to die on a trolley

No it wouldnā€™t be but Iā€™m sure you already know that.

I actually donā€™t know. I was listening to the radio this morning and they said that the spike in A&E admissions is due to flu epidemic. It wouldnā€™t occur to me to pitch up in hospital with a flu but then again Iā€™ve never had a proper flu.

I think it means that some people who get flu (old people, asthmatics excluding pro cyclists and rugby players, people with pre existing medical conditions) end up with respiratory problems such as pneumonia requiring hospital treatment

People should be more active in seeking out flu (annual) and pneumonia (5 yearly) vaccines too.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/overcrowding-crisis-hospitals-tell-flu-sufferers-to-stay-away-from-ae-35340268.html

Unless you are really old and vulnerable thereā€™s no reason to go to hospital with a flu. Iā€™ve only ever had a proper flu once, it was pretty severe and I could see why people might think they would need to go to hospital but itā€™s pointless really. You just need to stay in bed and let it pass.

If you know you have a flu the last thing you need is be stuck in a hospital waiting room for 10 hours. If you spent that 10 hours in bed youā€™d be well on the road to recovery.

Really the triage nurses should just be sending people home, but thereā€™s too much of a risk of being sued if they did that.

Youā€™d want to be on deaths door to go to A&E, and that goes for anything.

1 Like

Assume most who end up in hospital have been through their GP first

Thereā€™s places beside the regional now that will give you a referral to A&E for ā‚¬35

1 Like

Thatā€™s genius to be fair

I think a big problem with this time of the year is the irregularity of GP availability.

For instance, at home in Leitrim, GPs are extremely difficult to come by. If one of them decide to take more time off over Christmas then the whole system grinds to a halt and the only option is A&E.

1 Like

Is there not a ā€œLeitrim Docā€ type 24 hour pooled GP service?

http://www.boylemedicalcentre.com/nowdoc-.html

1 Like

NowDoc

But that only opens at 6pm as far as I know. Again it is very short staffed - one GP, two max.

Same everywhere. A fella I know rang up the Limerick version one night after cutting open his hand and was told it was appointment only, which kind of defeats the purpose. He had to drive 40 minutes out the road to get an appointment in a different surgery at 2 Oā€™Clock in the morning (this was about 10pm).
If he hadnā€™t the wife with him to drive him out the road, heā€™d have had to join the queue in the A&E for the night to get a few stitches & a jab which is a 15 minute job.

Hmmm, any time Iā€™ve had to go there you just ring them up, tell them your issue and they ring you back pretty much straight away with an appointment time (usually within the next hour or so).

1 Like

Depends how busy they are I suppose.