Irish basketball

Shocking sad news, anothers case of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome?

Irish basketball mourns death of Robbins

KEITH DUGGAN

BASKETBALL: THERE WAS general shock and disbelief in Irish basketball yesterday after it was learned that Stuart Robbins, one of the outstanding players in the recently concluded Superleague, had died suddenly at the age of 33.

The Welshman, who had enjoyed a tremendous debut season with the University of Limerick Eagles, was discovered in his hotel bedroom in Galway yesterday morning, having spent the weekend coaching the college side at the annual Intervarsity basketball tournament.

A post-mortem is due to be carried out today. It is believed that Mr Robbins died in his sleep.

“We are all totally stunned and devastated by this,” said John King, the Eagles’ chairman last night. “He was a tremendous young guy – literally larger than life. Stuart had become the go-to man on our team in his first season. He was our one professional player, the guy we depended on but much more than that, he was a really important and popular figure in the club. He helped out a lot with coaching in the college and with youngsters around Limerick and was brilliant.

“You can imagine how kids of nine and ten reacted at seeing this 6ft 11in giant of a man coming in and he was brilliant with youngsters. At this stage, it is hard to actually believe that this has happened and we can only offer our deepest sympathies to his family.”

“He was a great fella. I was up at the Intervarsities for a few hours on Friday and I met him and he was just in great form. He had enjoyed the season. . . it is devastating news and no-one here in Basketball Ireland can quite believe it,” said Basketball Ireland PRO Shane Whelan last night.

It is understood Robbins’ family are travelling from their home in Port Talbot, near Swansea, today. Limerick had recruited the centre in part because Matt Hall, one of his closest friends from Wales, was playing point guard for the club.

Robbins was in the mature phase of a professional career which saw him play for clubs in Australia, Britain and Europe.

He played several seasons for German club Bayern Munich before signing for Limerick this year.

RIP Juice,a gentleman.

That’s the 2nd Limerick based basketballer to die in the strange circumstances. Ross Cooney, dropped dead either during or after a match for UL about 8 or 9 years back. There was a lot of fingers pointing at Red Bull around the time of his death.

Yea I remember that furore going on at the time. Very unsettling news to hear though, Christ, 33 FFS.

If red bull did cause it, he already had a bad ticker. SHS can happen at any time, and doesn’t have to be actually playing the game/sport or digging the garden or whatever.

Sad news though, i think i’d seen this lad in UL before, a giant, above all the other players who were training there, he was white? Am i thinking of the right guy Limerick heads?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 457924”]
If red bull did cause it, he already had a bad ticker. SHS can happen at any time, and doesn’t have to be actually playing the game/sport or digging the garden or whatever.

Sad news though, i think i’d seen this lad in UL before, a giant, above all the other players who were training there, he was white? Am i thinking of the right guy Limerick heads?
[/quote]Yeah that’s him,had a large tatoo on his arm.

I don’t think anything was ever proven as regards the link to Red Bull, I think he was one of the first high profile victims of SADS, so I suppose at the time peopel weren’t as aware of the condition and were looking to blame something else.

There was a big campagin to get Red Bull banned in the college and Limerick GAA ended up turning down a massive sponsorship offer from Red Bull.

Pat Critchley :clap:

Pat Critchley :clap:

BASKETBALL IRELAND ANNUAL AWARDS AND PRESIDENT’S LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS WINNERS 2019/20:

PRESIDENT’S LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS

Pat Critchley

Frank Cashman

Ann Diffney

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Men’s Super League:

Player of the Year: Delaney Blaylock (Belfast Star)

Young Player of the Year: CJ Fulton (Belfast Star)

Coach of the Year: Adrian Fulton (Belfast Star)

Women’s Super League:

Player of the Year: Shrita Parker (Ambassador UCC Glanmire)

Young Player of the Year: Rachel Huijsdens (DCU Mercy)

Coach of the Year: Mark Ingle (DCU Mercy)

Men’s Division One:

Player of the Year: Andre Nation (Tradehouse Central Ballincollig)

Young Player of the Year: Dylan Corkery (Tradehouse Central Ballincollig)

Coach of the Year: Kieran O’Sullivan (Tradehouse Central Ballincollig)

Women’s Division One:

Player of the Year: Edel Thornton (Trinity Meteors)

Young Player of the Year: Ciara Byrne (Portlaoise Panthers)

Coach of the Year: Vinny O’Keeffe (Trinity Meteors)

IRISH WHEELCHAIR ASSOCIATION

Irish Wheelchair Basketball Men’s Player of the Year: Derek Hegarty (Rebel Wheelers)

Irish Wheelchair Basketball Women’s Player of the Year: Jodie Waite (Limerick Scorpions)

NATIONAL REFEREE COMMITTEE:

NRC Referee of the Year: Stewart Joyce (CCBOA)

Most Improved NRC Referee: Rachel Dudley (SERA)

National League Referee of the Year: Niamh Callaghan

Young National League Referee of the Year: Sara Guebaili

TABLE OFFICIALS (NTOC)

Table Official of the Year: Norma Thompson

Young Table Official of the Year: Aoife Quinn

NBCC COLLEGES

Division 1 Female Collegiate Player of the Year: Edel Thornton (TCD)

Division 1 Male Collegiate Player of the Year: Marko Tomic (DBS)

Division 2 Female Collegiate Player of the Year: Morgan O’Donnell (GCD)

Division 2 Male Collegiate Player of the Year: Farouq Raheem (TUD City Centre)

Division 3 Female Collegiate Player of the Year: Aisling McCann (RCSI)

Division 3 Male Collegiate Player of the Year: Lisle Blackbourn (RCSI)

POST PRIMARY SCHOOLS:

Tom Collins Award: PJ Reidy

Girls A School of the Year: Scoil ChrĂ­ost RĂ­, Portlaoise (Laois)

Boys A School of the Year: Mercy Mounthawk, Tralee (Kerry)

Girls B School of the Year: St Colmcille’s CS, Knocklyon (Dublin)

Boys B School of the Year: Cnoc Mhuire, Granard (Longford)

Girls C School of the Year: Sacred Heart School, Drogheda (Louth)

Boys C School of the Year: Skibbereen Community School (Cork)

Girls D School of the Year: Ballybay Community College (Monaghan)

Boys D School of the Year: Castleblayney College (Monaghan)

Female U19 Schools Player of the Year: Ciara Byrne (Scoil ChrĂ­ost RĂ­, Portlaoise)

Male U19 Schools Player of the Year: CJ Fulton (St Malachy’s College, Belfast)

Female U16 Schools Player of the Year: Tania Salvado McCormack (Pobalscoil Inbhear Scéine, Kenmare)

Male U16 Schools Player of the Year: Anthony Ezeonu (St Joseph’s College, The Bish, Galway)

Girls School Coach of the Year: Niamh Ni Chearra, Virginia College (Cavan)

Boys Schools Coach of the Year: Sean Daly, Malahide Community School (Dublin)

PRIMARY SCHOOLS MINI BASKETBALL:

Primary School of the Year: St John’s, Limerick

Appreciation Award: Joe Doheny, Carlow

AREA BOARDS:

Area Board Club of the Year: Portlaoise Panthers

U18 Male Player of the Year: CJ Fulton (Belfast Star)

U18 Female Player of the Year: Gillian Wheeler (Portlaoise Panthers)

U20 Male Player of the Year: Paul Kelly (Moycullen)

U20 Female Player of the Year: Debbie Ogayemi (Waterford Wildcats)

UNDERAGE COACHES:

Men’s Underage Coach of the Year: Keith Daly (Neptune BC)

Women’s Underage Coach of the Year: Jack Dooley (Portlaoise Panthers)

I seen this on FB, we are live now vs Andorra in the small countries for anyone interested

Cup final on TG4
Demons centre is a serious unit

When I think of it the new Tallaght Stadium plans look decent inside, not sure about the outside decor.

A handier way into it from the M50 would be nice, but hardly get that at this stage.

Another one for @glenshane and co. to investigate there.

The lads about to go down to Kosovo in a World Cup qualifier. They put up a good show all told and we’re ok it til the end but went chasing it and got opened up. Kosovons have a lovely little arena tbf to them.

Portlaoise acting like big babies in trying to force an undeserved replay against my beloved Limerick sport Eagles

[Consent ](javascript:Didomi.preferences.show())

Irish Independent

1. Other Sports

Teams ordered to replay 0.3 seconds of a game in bizarre twist

Jason Killeen

Barry Lennon

Today at 21:09

Portlaoise Panthers and Limerick Eagles will be forced to replay the last 0.3 seconds of their Division 1 quarter-final play-off in a bizarre move to resolve a dispute over the fixture.

This is the latest decision which overturns an original ruling to replay the entire game following an appeal from Portlaoise.

In the second-tier encounter last month, Limerick Eagles’ Jason Killeen was fouled while attempting to shoot a basket just as the final buzzer sounded.

The former Irish international captain duly converted resulting free throws to win the game 80-78 on Saturday March 23 – a victory which would seal a semi-final against Tolka Rovers.

However, Portlaoise subsequently appealed to the National Appeals Committee (NAC) as the clock had expired at the same time that the foul had been called.

The NAC ruled that match officials should have placed a fraction of a second on the clock before awarding the free throws and ordered a full replay of the fixture.

“Given that both referees and the commissioner erred, it would be a serious injustice not to grant a replay of the game. The NAC directs a full replay of the game at the same venue. The decision of the NAC is final,” an earlier NAC statement read.

However, the National League Committee (NLC) has since overturned the decision announcing their ruling in Basketball Ireland statement released today.

Basketball Ireland said the 0.3-second game would be played this week and would be in touch with both clubs to organise when it would take place.

That could be in doubt as Portlaoise are understood to be questioning whether the NLC have the power to overturn the original ruling.

Unbelievable pettiness from Portlaoise, a club that I’d have good time for.
They lost the game, end of

Probably time for Limerick to do the decent thing and offer the replay

Is Bernard O’Byrne still the CEO of Basketball Ireland? Would explain a lot if he is.