Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) 🐐

2 Likes

@balbec
our u 14s and 15s are off to Dortmund for easter hols for a week
im hoping i can travel
is this a good trip for the kids this age?

1 Like

we’re beginning to see the disconnect now as the national u-15 league get going, we have 3 lads - 2 to the BSC and 1 to rovers going and in the process of
there parents are going to be glorified taxi drivers for the near future
before these kids would have been gone to kevins / belvo, etc or in cork they’d be at cobh or douglas hall, for the first time we are seeing schoolboys join LOI clubs, im still not sure what they are going into, rovers have a setup, cobh are unbelievable, i have no idea about bohs tbh, this is totally untested, what’ll happen here if they cant make it at bohs, will they just stop playing…im hopeful itll work, this is the way to get players thru to play LOI here and not make it a league where young players want to avoid
great thing about the GAA lads, u gotta play with the club, we loose so many players here as they are lost between clubs

3 Likes

Think so. Is a trip to Borussia part of the deal? One of my lads went with his team to Anderlecht a few years ago. They went by bus and stopped off in Dortmund on the way back. At the time all the Polacks were at Borussia and they were allowed in for a tour of the club on a Sunday. All the players were in for their post match warm downs etc, got their photos taken with Goetze, Lewandowski, Hummels, Kuba and of course Jurgen Klopp. A lovely friendly welcoming club.

1 Like

Srfc set up is amazing and getting better

Is rovers any good? I have an acquaintance with a kid playing there

Wes Hoolahan has retired from international football.

Good riddance.

5 Likes

He’s as old as myself. He has no business to be still playing international football

Dunphy will be in tears

He is on Radio 1 now . Compared him to Messi and Mo Salah .

A sad day. Wes was criminally underused by several Oireland managers, most notably O’Kneel.

1 Like

A very tidy player who was a breath of fresh air in the teams of Trap and O’Neill.

He looked to hold possession and probe chances which in turn seemed to encourage other players to do the same.

But he wasn’t consistent enough for me to be thought about as a great and could have self indulgent stinkers of matches. The Dunphy shit around him was infuriating. But my memory of him would be mainly positive as a player for Ireland.

Sweden in 2016 was his high point for me. Brilliant performance, capped with a goal in our most important match in years.

2 Likes

Overrated, ineffectual.

1 Like

You can tell you think deeply about the game.

A lot like your posting here.

1 Like

A very good player for Ireland over the last few years

Wouldn’t say its overrated

Wes is a strange one, clearly talented, but no Irish manager ever really trusted him and no club manager ever thought enough of him to take him off Norwich, where to be fair he seemed somewhat appreciated at times.
I think he was unlucky with timing, had he come on the international scene under McCarthy he would have gotten a fairer shake, and his club career only took off later in life.
At club level his two best years were getting Norwich promoted twice in a row, then he was in the premier league for three seasons, then by the time Norwich went down in 2014 he was 32/33, so a big ask for a club to take a chance on him. I think Villa wanted him around this time and Norwich rejected them, that was probably the move that got away (not that Villa did much after).