Irish History

Politics aside that’s a fascinating interview.
Politics not aside though imagine the tut tutting out of gay that was an IRA man talking about lack of remorse for killing people.
I know that’s not the whole interview but wouldn’t you love to hear him asked about the Easter rising or how people treated him in the years after the war etc
There is simply nothing like contemporary interviews from the mouths of ordinary people when it comes to history.

UK me bollix says Johnny :clap::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

History is nothing more than a series of character assassinations written by those who outlived their rivals. Most of what we know about ancient history is wrong… Modern history is just journalism.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s it. There is such an accepted narrative. Imagine hearing interviews from ordinary non combatants about the War of independence say.

I’m half Lakota half Irish…you don’t have to tell me about the injustices of history and those who chronicled it.

Here we go lads, 50 Protestant Irish Nationalists. I’d suggest a ceremonial ‘1st Like’ from @EstebanSexface

• Theobald Wolfe Tone (Died for Ireland by cutting his own throat awaiting execution 1798)
  • Robert Emmett (Died for Ireland by hanging 1803)
  • Ernest Blythe (Organised & trained local Volunteer units all over Munster pre WOI)
  • Charles Stewart Parnell (Arguably one of the greatest politicians in history, reshaped European politics, Land activist, Home Ruler with strong connections to the IRB)
  • Bulmer Hobson (The man who revitalised the IRB, founding member of the Irish Volunteers)
  • Erskine Childers (1916 & WOI, the man who armed the 1916 rebels, Died for Ireland by firing squad during the Civil War 1922)
  • Robert Barton (Childers 1st Cousin, Signatory of the Treaty, later rejected it and took part in the Civil War)
  • Constance Markiewicz (1916 & WOI)
  • Roger Casement (Died for Ireland 1916) *
  • Lord Edward Fitzgerald (Died for Ireland from wounds sustained resisting arrest 1798)
  • Henry Joy McCracken (Died for Ireland by hanging 1798)
  • James Napper Tandy (Died in Exile 1803
  • Thomas Davis (Poet, writer, song writer, Young Irelander)
  • Thomas Russell (Died for Ireland by hanging 1803)
  • John Mitchel (Young Irelander,sentenced to exiled for life 1848)
  • Oliver Bond (Died in prison awaiting exile 1798
  • Reverend William Jackson (Died for Ireland by self poisoning on the day of his sentencing to death 1795)
  • Henry Sheares (Died for Ireland 1798)
  • John Sheares (Died for Ireland 1798)
  • Archibald Hamilton Rowan (1795 forced into Exile)
  • William Orr (Died for Ireland by hanging 1797)
  • William Aylmer (1798 Forced into Exile)
  • Sir Edward Crosbie (Died for Ireland by hanging 1798)
  • Sam Maguire (IRB Intelligence Officer London, recruited Michael Collins)
  • Bagenal Harvey (Died for Ireland by hanging on Wexford Bridge 1798)
  • Anthony Perry (‘The Screeching General’ Died for Ireland by hanging 1798)
  • William Smith O’Brien (1848 Young Irelanders Rebellion)
  • Joseph Holt (1799 Forced into Exile)
  • Thomas Addis Emmett (Brother of Robert, Secretary and Legal Adviser to the United Irishmen, Forced into Exile 1798)
  • Jack White (Founder of the Irish Citizen Army)
  • Conor O’Brien (Grandson of William Smith O’Brien. 1914 Howth Gun runner)
  • Alice Stopford Green (1914 Howth Gun runner)
  • Mary Spring Rice (1914 Howth Gun Runner & WOI)
  • Sir Thomas Myles (1914 Kilcoole Gun Runner)
  • Darrell Figgis (1914 Howth Gun Runner)
  • James Creed Meredith (1914 Kilcoole Gun Runner & President of the Sinn féin ‘Dáil Supreme Court’ during the WOI 1920-22).
  • David Lubbock Robinson (IRA Volunteer and later Fianna Fáil Senator)
  • Douglas Hyde (Founder of the Gaelic League and 1st President of Ireland
  • Dennis Ireland (Ulster Union Club founder and IRA Recruiter 1940s)
  • John Graham (IRA recruiter of Irish Protestants 1940s, founded the ‘Protestant Squad’ IRA intelligence unit)
  • George Plant (IRA man, executed by Irish Government 1942)
  • George Gilmore (Republican Congress & IRA Volunteer 1940s)
  • Ivan Cooper (Co-Founder of the SDLP)
  • Ronnie Bunting Jr (Founder of the INLA, shot dead by UDA 1980)
  • John Turnley (Founder of the short lived Irish Independence Party, supporter of the blanket protest in the H Blocks, killed by the UDA 1980)
  • David Russell (IRA man killed in 1974)
  • Grace Gifford (wife of Joseph Plunkett)
  • Muriel Gifford (wife of Thomas MacDonagh)
  • Maud Gonne McBride
  • Lillie Connolly (wife of James Connolly)
19 Likes

Post of the year

Not the last protestant plant in the IRA

None of the brave men who fought for irish freedom would enter the church for Hyde’s funeral. They stood outside like a shower of plebs because the Catholic bishop wouldn’t allow them go in. You think it would be the same the other way around?.. The first president of Ireland and they stood outside…A fucking travesty.

6 Likes

There are some very interesting characters on the list above. I really enjoyed reading about Napper Tandy. Some story!

Archibald Hamilton Rowan another great read. A brave man who stuck up for the weak and those who didn’t have a voice.

To be fair to Nordies, home rule was Rome rule

2 Likes

Dev saw to that. Proved them 100% correct to be sceptical

1 Like

Outstanding list. Patriots.

This is a great post. Can see a family name in there too :relaxed:

1 Like

I knew you were a Tandy

1 Like

Wonderful. Just gone down a Wexford history rabbit hole after starting with Bagenal Harvey, John Kelly The Boy From Killanne, The Battle of Three Rocks. Unreal. Unbelievable.

3 Likes
  • Ernest Blythe (Organised & trained local IRA units all over Munster pre WOI)

IRB maybe before ww1
Not IRA
As ww1 started in 14

1 Like

Correct, organised Irish Volunteers I should have said. Corrected on the list :+1:

1 Like

I have to thank @EstebanSexface as it was through his drunken attack on Irish Protestants that sent me down the rabbit hole. I knew a share of them but during my extensive research I found some great characters. As I said above James Napper Tandy is a worthwhile read, as is Hamilton Rowan.

A guy who didn’t make the list was John Philpot Curran, who wasn’t a political activist per se but represented a lot of these guys in court cases. Another amazing story, he survived 5 duels in his lifetime, overcame a bad speech impediment to go on and become one of the best barristers in the land.

History is great, it’s great to know and understand your country’s history and not rely on clichés and stereotypes.

7 Likes

And it serves to remind us what a shower of soft cocks the current generation are, bitching and moaning about having to stay at home for a few weeks.

They’d have been first against the wall.

We’ve lost our way.

2 Likes