Irish History

If anyone wants any of these, let me know. They have gone from gathering dust in Liverpool to gathering dust in Birmingham

1702 map of Ireland

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g5780.ct000414/?r=-0.078,-0.822,1.456,1.644,0

5 Likes

I can see my house

First time doing Glasnevin cemetary tour. Well worth it.

9 Likes

I was thinking there Big Jim Larkin’s headstone was a bit avant-garde until I copped that photo is showing two sides of it.

1 Like

By far and away the best tourist attraction in Dublin.

Did you go on a tour or fly solo?

2 Likes

Went on the tour. Girl in her early 20’s hosted, very very informative. Included going to the crypt of Daniel O’Connell, but decided not to go up to the tower. Mostly brought us to see the visionaries of the 1916 rising, including O’Donovan Rosa’s grave where an actor in a soldiers uniform did the oration from his funeral. After the tour, I went to see Brendan Behan’s grave. Nicely enough I found it via google maps. The museum is a great spot as well, explaining the religions in the cemetary, along with an exhibition on the place.

(went with the longhaired pal, we have it on the list to do the tenement tour or the famine boat tour next. If anyone has any suggestions to see things in Dublin, I’d appreciate it, and will put it down on the bucket list).

2 Likes

A taxi driver was raving about it to me the other day.

1 Like

I’d have no time for an Irishman who hasn’t done Glasnevin at least once before he was 50

1 Like

For €11 you can’t go wrong. They even give you the option of getting map in reception if you want to do it solo. Google maps helps as well if there’s a grave you really want to see.

I’m doing the Kilmainham Gaol tour later this week.

1 Like

The mugs in the museum shop aren’t dishwasher safe.

Disappointing.

1 Like

Did that a few weeks ago, you won’t be disappointed.

3 Likes

Are you suggesting you were mugged off?

Looking forward to it, i must do Glasnevin some day in the New Year…

2 Likes

Wonder will it be turned into a boutique hostel.

Watch One Million Dubliners before you do - a brilliant doc

3 Likes

Christ, I seen this year’s ago. Didn’t occur to me to search it on YouTube. €15 for the dvd of it in the shop! Really good documentary at that.

1 Like

I’m going to pour a green spot and watch it again tonight

1 Like

I did Glasnevin in February of this year.

Very good outing.

2 Likes