Irish Neutrality

Iceland

Yes but they are a member of NATO

You’ve cornered him there.

Cornered my on my own opinion fair play to you. In all seriousness do ypu have confidence that the goverment can afford to and not fuck up investing in the DFs required to fight anyone? As opposed to fixing the health system, housing crisis and refugees crisis on top of switching to green energys? No matter how much we spend we will always be an easy target

If we are in NATO we are not an easy target. You don’t get fucked with if you’re in NATO.

Ireland is a freeloader.

Anyway our neutrality is only paper thin. In reality we are not neutral and never have been. We are “neutral” on the side of NATO countries and we were “neutral” on the side of the Allies in World War II. We refuel the US Air Force and welcome US aircraft carriers to our waters.

Nazi Russia is our enemy, as it should be the enemy of any free country.

3 Likes

A timely reminder of those countries (almost exclusively Western countries) who do not want to clamp down on neo-Nazism.

Turkey is not Western as you said. Neither is Albania really.

Another swing and a miss.

NATO didn’t go into Iraq.

1 Like

Back to MDH, very telling that he uses an interview to put forth his views.

There is a widespread discussion forum on this and he made a disparaging remark on its Chair.

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/e2a6b-consultative-forum-on-international-security-policy/

He is getting worried about what way the wind is blowing on this amongst the centre left (SF dropping more sacred cows) and feels the need to intervene.

He really is an absolute disgrace. Coveting a ceremonial role for decades so he could break conventions and pontificate with no real responsibility.

3 Likes

His recent comments show a huge disregard for the office he holds and the constitution that underpins it.

1 Like

You sidestepped the fact that Erdogan is a right wing leader with loads of shade behind him but the West are more than happy to do business with him as they share similar geopolitical outlooks.

Another slip of your mask.

The right wing fascist calling others a disgrace. Some delusion.

I commented specifically on what you said “exclusively white Western countries”.

It isn’t- you were wrong.

Oh he knows exactly what he wants from it. There’s a reason why he has wanted it since 1990. He is a lazy bastard who spends most of his days in his study but wants the title and ability to pontificate on matters that interest him.

The only time he had a serious role with Labour (Minister for Fun isn’t serious) was as Foreign Affairs Spokesman- at a time when it was a piece of piss to just sit there and moan about Bush and Neocons. Notice he never had a serious portfolio where he had to shadow him.

He wouldn’t be a Finance Spokesman for example, having to follow the day to day would he a pain in the arse for him and a distraction from his poetry.

1 Like

You are still sidestepping the issue of NATO and the EU quite happily being aligned to a right wing dictator in Turkey for geopolitical reasons.

All your positions are insincere and contrived, the reality is you are a fascist and a white supremacist.

I’ll say one thing, he is not lazy as president. I think his remarks in that article were out of order. To date he I think he has tested but not crossed the line, but these remarks crossed the line.

His predecessor had far more engagements outside of the Áras. He is closer to a DeValera than a McAleese in the activity stakes but I’m not going to say he is Dev.

I simply quoted your line on members of NATO and showed it to be wrong.

The deflection is tedious at this stage, you were wrong. Do better next time.

Understandable how you don’t want to address how the West/EU are happy to get into bed with right wing dictators for geopolitical purposes as it shows you up as an insincere hypocrite.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0617/1389644-neutrality/