Irish People talking about the NFL

My god you are dumb

1 Like

FACT: Scotland darts captain Ross Montgomery was a star American football player for 11 years.

1 Like

Who gives a fuck about all of this. This is turning into one of those YouTube comment sections between moronic rugby football fans and moronic American football fans on which one is tougher.

The hypocrisy is funny though. No doubt a quick look through some of the rugby football haters posts will find you something which contradicts their enjoyment of American football. The “bandwagon” being a favourite one. The number of Packers, Steelers and Patriots fans in Ireland is gas. They’ll all claim some flimsy reason; “I did my J1 there”, “they’re Irish” ect whilst slagging off a few new rugby fans in this country. The real reason they’re intimidated though is that women in this country are obsessed with rugby footballers and not association football louts.

5 Likes

As expected these “big fans” aren’t able to explain even some of the very basic supposed skills.

At least @blake seems to know a bit about it and can get into the finer points of what’s involved.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with this topic, @mac and @ChocolateMice are to American football what attention seeking women are to rugby.

5 Likes

Let me be clear. I really enjoy NFL. However i watch it just casually.

I would pay more attention to the coaching and programs about same.

Hahaha.

Lovely anology.

My rudimentary understanding of NFL is as follows:

• One person (white) throws the ball.
  • 2 or maybe 4 people (black) run and catch the ball.
  • One person (white) is brought onto kick the conversion.
  • A different person (white) is brought on to kick the ball out of his hand, god forbid he would have to learn how to kick the ball over the bar as well.
  • The other approximately 80 or 90 people on the team either block or tackle in some form.
  • The game takes about 3.5 hours to play even though it is made up of 4 x 15 minute quarters.
  • Steroid abuse is rampant and dealt with by “banning” players for 2 weeks when caught.
  • Most of the players end up with severe mental illness and/or dead by the time they hit their late 40’s.

Did I leave anything out?

19 Likes

Is American Football the most racist sport ever?

A load of black lads crash into each other seriously shortening their lifespan while the white lad tosses the ball around a bit, all the while taking all the plaudits and most of the money.

NFL has little or no “skill” as I would define it. It has some serious athletes though. Absolute beasts.
I would consider it a vastly inferior sport to basketball in terms of skill and athleticism. I don’t really watch much of either obviously as I’m not a desperate ripster sado striving to be different from the crowd by following the latest trend.

3 Likes

Great post, pal.

Agree. Basketball is more skillful.

However there is olenty skill, just not always that obvious i suppose. Much like rugby. 1/4 back play is highly skillful.

Its not as racist as it was. Plenty black 1/4backs and coaches now.

FACT: The NFL has the most lax attitude to doping of any major sporting organisation in the world. Peyton Manning has just been caught red handed ordering human growth hormone and nobody gives a fuck.
FACT: The NFL has shamefully tried to cover up the litany of deaths and permanent disabilities due to chronic trauma head injuries suffered by players.

2 Likes

Somebody had to say it, bud.

The Superbowl is a fucking joke of an event, too.

Its main selling point is to wheel out some well past it singer or musician to go through the motions for ten minutes for $$$$$$$$, in front of a bussed in crowd of extras posing as “fans”.

Most Yanks seem to be more interested in Janet Jackson’s tit hanging out than the actual game.

As does one Irishman

2 Likes

Outstanding thread. :clap:

i penned a smashing post about American football in the International Business thread i believe in October 2013 when i was on a BT to Austin, Tx to oversee a Semi Conductor merger and went along with a colleague to watch Rice play Florida Atlantic in some NCAA 2A ( basically Junior B NFL).
I must dig up the post there

One of the reasons basketball and hurling are such shit sports is that it’s so easy to score. You have a basket, we have a basket. You knock it over the bar from 80 yards away, we knock it over from 80 yards. Exchanging scores again and again and again. There’s a premium on scores and they’re very hard earned in the best ball sports.

I went to an American Football once and it was horrendous. I was expecting spectacular throws and catches along with big hits. Saw nothing of the sort and left well before it finished.

A spirited defence of your beloved rugby union football.

1 Like

It was established on TFK as far back as 2006 that rugby football union / rugby union football isn’t a sport.