Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) 🐐

Roy Keane only played in 9 matches for Kerr and he was coming towards the end.

It was Kerr coaxed him out of retirement, I reckon Roy must have had a bit of respect for the guy

How did Keane do in those games ??

I can’t recall any standout performances, but he was still probably our best player.

Plus the likes of Richard Dunne, Ian Harte, Steven Carr, Matty Holland, Lee Carsley, Kenny Cunningham, Clinton Morrison, Kevin Kilbane, John O’ Shea etc. who all forged decent club careers with top tier clubs. Kevin Doyle would have been a good bench option had we qualified in 2006 as well.

Was a decent bunch of players ok . Miles ahead of what MON and Trapp had

Andy O’ Brien (Newcastle) and Stephen Carr and Andy’s Reid (both Spurs) as well. Considering the Swiss made the round of 16 and lost on pens to Ukraine, we definitely could have reached a quarter-final.

Gary Doherty was a regular with Spurs in those days too

I’d say Martin Jol got rid of him sharpish when they started to improve.

Plus Stephen Ireland but I’m not sure anyone can be blamed for not getting the best out of him

1 Like

We battered France in Paris under Kerr, played very well, John o Shea missed a sitter.

Shur McCarthy made a cunt of 2 play offs before falling over the line in Iran

Was it that game that gave ‘Zinedine Kilbane’ his name?

Stephen Hunt

Israel wound up finishing ahead of us in that group if I recall correctly. By their standards they had a very good team at the time too

We should have beaten France in Paris, we were excellent that evening but France were a shambles without a heap of their big guns due to injury and retirement. They had Mavuba and Olivier Dacourt in central midfield and Djibril Cisse up top. They arrived in Dublin a year later with Makelele, Vieira and Zidane instead of those three and were much better than us and deservedly beat us.

5 points from 18 and zero wins off the three teams ahead of us in the group. If he won either of the Israel games we would have been second

We’ve a woeful record in playoffs. Only by the miracle of chance we met Iran in 02 and Estonia who were a very average side in 2012

Keane definitely publicly backed Kerr when Keane walked away the 2nd time. I distinctly remember it. But Roy had nothing to lose anyway by that

Don’t forget the time Dela pulled Bosnia from the bowl.

Yeah we’ve never beaten a similarly ranked team in a playoff.

We really need the draw to fall our way

Not to mention the times we fucked up by putting ourselves into play offs when we have qualification all but sealed