Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) 🐐

A Connolly dive securing a penalty us probably our only chance of a goal outside a Duffy header.

Kavs young lad is meant to be handy

The Serbs have a new manager just in the door, no fans, it’s actually the ideal time to play them hoping to scrape a dour scoreless draw while they are still adjusting to their new management. A draw here could very well set up a winner takes all return leg for second place. Portugal should win every single game.

What about the new manager bounce?

Where was Spock’s new manager bounce?

Is this fella as bad/unlucky as Spock?

im making a huge call here
i dont want to rehash old posts where i analysed Luxembourg, their recruitment policy and improvement but i am strongly of the opinion we will not beat them on the Saturday

If we don’t beat them will Spock’s position be untenable?

It has just been a nightmare pretty much since the day he took over, not necessarily all of his own making.

• Being lumbered with Robbie Keane as an expensive FAI employee from Day One. Kenny dealt with it well enough but Keane is still lurking in the background on his €500k a year
  • losing the shootout to Slovakia.
  • covid, being unable to travel and see players or opponents in the flesh.
  • the positive cases in the squad and seating debacle on the flight.
  • the motivational video for the England game.
  • Duff and Alan Kelly walking away.
  • never ending catalogue of injuries and absentees.
  • having desperately limited options in many positions, chiefly up front leading to the ensuing goal drought.
  • turmoil in the FAI behind the scenes can’t be helping him.

If we’d scraped past Slovakia it could all have been so different. A real sliding doors moment.

He’s probably not up to it but little has gone right for him. Relying on the likes of Matt Doherty to keep you in a job won’t end well.

Be that as it may he still has a very compliant MSM behind him because he is “ trying to play the right way “

Think so far he’s been unlucky with Covid and injuries
As mentioned the Slovakia game could well be looked back on a big turning point
A draw in Serbia would be a nice boost

If Trap, MON or McCarthy had presided over this run they’d have been filleted.

Kenny’s cheerleaders still backing their man though. Who cares about goals or results when the all important possession stats are up.

1 Like

The Slovakia game wasn’t bad luck . We didn’t take our chances .

We got a break by drawing and average enough side who missed a few that night . Also the ground was empty.

1 Like

Robbie Keane’s international goal scoring record was phenomenal. Finds himself about much vaunted contemporaries on the international goal scoring list.

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t 4 at the back. Would rather Collins start than Long also. Connolly will start if available

1 Like

A World Cup qualifying campaign feels like a proper old fashioned campaign. None of this qualify through the nations league play-off type of backdoor malarkey that you see with the Euros. European teams really earn their place in a World Cup.

Reckon Kenny will go with

Kelleher

Coleman
Duffy (our main scoring threat)
Clark
Steven’s

Browne
Cullen
Hendrick
Robinson
Brady (for set pieces)

Connolly

In a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1

Be very surprised if he moved to 3-5-2

Kelleher

Doherty
Duffy
O’Shea
Stevens

Hendrick
Hourihane
Browne

Brady
Connolly

Collins

That’s my best guess at what he’ll go for. Brady and Connolly wide of a front 3 with Collins. That Brady spot could go to 3 or 4 different lads or Brady could drop back to midfield

1 Like

We’ve improved in this area tbf

lads i looked up this fella collins
a sub on the luton team who scored 7 goals in 50 matches

1 Like

is it time to call scott “scotty” hogan?