Irish soccerball nil - That boy Jinky will save us (Part 2)

Itā€™s always a potential problem when you get the amount of hype he got so young. Talk of him being a new Haaland/harry Kane was absolutely ridiculous imo. If he goes on to have five seasons scoring double figures in the PL heā€™ll have had a great career and still be the second best Irish striker in 40 years.

Perhaps, but the kid cant really manage that.

Very hard to substantiate this statement. Iā€™d say for every Ravel Morrison, there are 5 Maurice Claretts.

De Zebra has already said his form needs to improve and he needs to be scoring more regularly

A striker who isnt scoring would probably need both to improve alright.

Very black and white with him

3 Likes

You dont get an Anthony martial surviving for long at the top of many other sports

1 Like

Thatā€™s a contract issue. If he isnā€™t willing to walk away from 300k a week thereā€™s not a whole pile anybody can do

That hot/crazy chart that was doing the rounds a few years back has an equivalent in talent/attitude

No talent, great attitude no good.
Great talent, terrible attitude no good.
Although thereā€™s a few weirdos like Anelka who are just so absolutely talented they make a decent career of it inspite of themselves. Even he must have had a bit of steel about him.

Most decent pros are somewhere around the middle.

Plenty pros would say they were never the most talented player on their youth team, and how many great white hopes end up flopping or burning out

Then freaks like Ronaldo and Messi have the attitude and the talent.

Heā€™s dead fucking right as well

1 Like

Sure the only thing comparable is actors or musicians. You start giving young lads 50k or 60k at 19 or 20 thereā€™s always going to be trouble.

I donā€™t think you see fellas strolling around the pitch and literally not trying in any other sport really. Definitely not to same extent. Weā€™ve all seen it happen multiple times in soccer. Often with absolutely brilliant really highly paid players. Itā€™s kind of accepted.

But thereā€™s also an element of conserving energy for when it really matters.

Thereā€™s a fine line between having great work rate and being stupid. Chasing down lost causes can be completely pointless most of the time.

Yeah 100pc and thatā€™s what people dont understand about the differences between soccer and gaa/rugby a lot of the time. My point still stands though. Matt Doherty/Marcus rashford levels of strolling and giving up just wouldnā€™t happen in any other top sporting arena. I think it even carries over to junior soccer level/club gaa level too. Not bothering your bollox is more accepted.

In soccer though its really hard to score, so even if you donā€™t bother running back, 9 times out of 10 youā€™ll still get away with it and it can work in your favour if your team turns over the ball and you are still high up the pitch yourself.

Some lads want to see the piano players moving the piano or they dont think heā€™s doing his job.

2 Likes

The one concern Iā€™d have with Ferguson is that he doesnā€™t seem to score many ā€œeasyā€ goals.

Heā€™s brilliant at the kind of edge of the box take one touch and finish early into the corner but doesnā€™t seem to get himself into the position much for tap ins.

There was an excellent point made on Premierview after the Tipp v Galway match last year around the whole workrate thingā€¦

You should never ask piano players to shift pianos.

And hereā€™s the thing - at one stage Galway delivered a rotten high ball right down on top of Ronan Maher. Whelan had maybe a 5% chance of running across and winning it, but he stayed rooted to his spot, as if to send a message to his teammates ā€œthatā€™s not fuckin good enough - Iā€™m not gonna even waste my time and energy trying to make your terrible delivery look good. Do fuckin better the next timeā€.
Unfortunately Tipp didnā€™t have the same quality control procedures in place. Shite deliviries and then forlorn attempts to turn the shite delivery into something without any lessons being learned or change in approach.

1 Like

You worded that beautifully.

Not my words Iā€™m afraid but i really appreciated the way it was crafted.

1 Like