Irish soccerball nil - That boy Jinky will save us (Part 2)

To think the Newstalk generation wanted this??

O’Donoghue was worse with his interviews with Trappatoni and O’Neill.

This country…

1 Like

He puts Duffy up front and then says we played “longer than we would have liked”

4 Likes

Duffy is our most likely source of goals

Don’t worry mate, only 10 months till the hurling round robin games start in 2023. Some of the games will even take place in Tipperary and at a weekend too

3 Likes

That lad giving out about the round robin heading up to Dublin on a work night to attend a Mickey mouse competition.

2 Likes

This is textbook stuff. For years now lads become our ‘best’ players by not actually playing for us. Always a clamour for x or y to come in to improve the team. I dont buy it at all. Idah has looked poor everytime he’s played. Tries hard but way below the level. Occasionally decent holding it up but no goal threat. Obafemi was fucked out of Soton for his attitude but they kept shane long. He was left for dead for the goal on saturday even though he was only just on the pitch. His case is basically that he runs fast but not necessarily to the right place. At least Ogbene has scored a few for us. And worked his hole off. And Parrott actually plays upfront so he’s worth another go.
And the midfield you put up is laughable. Two defenders in cm.

1 Like

The late, great Johnny Giles used to always ridicule the tactic of throwing a defender upfront when chasing a late goal.

“Bill, if it it’s not right to do it at the start of a game or in the middle of a game then I don’t see why it’s right to do it at the end of a game. If you think putting a defender up there is the best way to score then why don’t you start him up there? It just doesn’t make sense to me Bill.”

I’m seeing in my mind’s eye footage of Robert Huth fighting for balls in the opposition box late on in a Chelsea European exit under Mourinho, maybe at Anfield.

7 Likes

Robert Huth came to mind to be after reading your first sentence as well - weird!

Paul Warhurst for me. Different vintage.

That’s a fair point.

Gary Doherty being the obvious exception.

Duffy hasn’t the feet to be a ball playing centre half. Never mind a CF

In the early stages of Klopp’s time at Liverpool, he fired big Steven Caulker up front once or twice to cause some havoc in the box.

1 Like

Neil Lennon favourite for the job. I suppose apart from final year at Celtic he did well, plus it would piss off angry nordies but hard to see it.

Talking about the present though mate and i thought Obafemi did more in 20 mins than Ogbene and Robinson combined.

Has Kenny gone yet?

I hope this is a lesson for all the newstalk generation…be careful what you wish for.

I remember Trapattoni and O’Neill under John Delaney. Great days.

7 Likes

Be a fucking terrible appointment, but he would be cheap. Which is their primary concern

Chris Hughton is the man for the job cc @Gary_Birtles_Lovechi

1 Like

Ogbene has played pretty well for the last 4/5 games. Even last night he looked one of our best. Obafemi was anonymous on saturday and ran around fast last night. I’m no fan of Robinson and never have been. (My kid loves him though cos the first game he was ever at was the Qatar game!)
Lads shitting on Cullen when he’s solid Nd always puts in his shift. He’s like Glenn Whelan 2.0.

I’d be giving the Ginger Guardiola a shout.

2 Likes

Is “the newstalk generation” the latest TFK phrase du jour?

11 Likes