Irish soccerball nil - That boy Jinky will save us (Part 2)

Good shout. Bournemouth have offered him a years contract i think. Would fit the style we play perfectly. Hopefully he gets fit.

Baz

Andrew O
Collins
Egan

Doc
Knight
Cullen
Molumby
McClean/Stevens

Obafemi
Parrott

We are severely lacking a longterm LB.

Ireland could have an serious team in a few years. Donā€™t forget young Heffernan at AC Milan

Zefi is the great hope

2 Likes

Bazunu
Collins Duffy Egan
Ogbene Cullen Molumby Doherty
Knight
MO Idah

Lads we need to move away from Duffy, has been a fantastic servant but we canā€™t play decent ball on the deck with him back there.

1 Like

At least Idah will be an option in September. Was showing signs of form pre injury. If Obafemi is out Idah is a good replacement.

Bazunu
Omo - Collins - Egan
Doherty - Molumby - Cullen - Knight - Brady (if he could get fit and into some sort of form)
Oba - Parrott

Yep, thatā€™s what iā€™d go with as well. Nice balance to it. Iā€™d have Stevens ahead of McClean at this stage. But weā€™re badly lacking a decent option at LB.

1 Like
             Republic of Ireland (5-3-2)

Gk: Gav Baz
RB: Coleman (C)
CB: Collins
CB: Duffy
CB: Egan
LB: Doherty
CM: Knight
CM: Cullen
CM: Browne
ST: Obafemi
ST: Parrott

Caveat that Iā€™d potentially bring in Stevens at LB, put Coleman in CB and then have Doherty at RB. Obamidele and Ogbene unfortunate to miss out. Not overly happy with that midfield. Weā€™re weakest in the engine room and maybe need to bypass it like Liverpool did circa 2018. Makes it such a pity that we didnā€™t tie down Grealish and Rice when we had the chance. A shotgun wedding would have suited us there.

Bookmark this. Obamidele will be a holding midfielder and a first class one at that

Ya, you could be right there.

Smallbone for Molumby and id agree.

Where do we envisage Nathan Collins next season? West Ham could do with another centre-back I reckon. He could replace that Dawson fella long-term.

Collins in the middle of the three was class tonight. I reckon he should be given the chance to nail down that role. I donā€™t think Brady has the engine to get up and down the flank as a wing back after all the football heā€™s missed. Stevens at home to Ukraine was one of the worst individual Ireland displays of all time. McClean is an honest but limited trier. I think Iā€™d switch Doherty across too. Throw Festy in as the right wing back for a shot and I like what Iā€™ve seen of Omobamidele. Aside from left wing back, I think weā€™re struggling for central midfield options. Iā€™d have Cullen as the #6 and Knight as the attacking one. One last spot for someone to nail down. I think Iā€™d have Browne ahead of Molumby and the other lads at the moment.

Bazunu;
Omobamidele, Collins, Egan;
Festy, Cullen, Knight, Browne; Doherty;
Obafemi, Parrott.

Burnley is fine. Heā€™s just gone 21, very young for a CB. Once heā€™s playing regular football is the main thing. They could easily bounce back and Vinny could be a good manager for him

Forgot Browne actually. A better midfield option than Molumby whoā€™s limited enough. Youā€™ve had a tough conversation with Seamey. How did he react? I presume no Gazza 1998 style theatrics from such a consummate professional and alright sort like the Donegal man. Whoā€™s your captain?

Collins. Heā€™s world class.

1 Like

Thereā€™s an old saying about a midfield three that you need one to get it, one to give it and one to go.

Our midfield three satisfies that. Molumby gets it, Cullen gives it and Knight goes.

But I have doubts about the quality of the first two being enough if we want to have a shot at qualification down the line. Cullen is now a mainstay but heā€™s only adequate. But at 26, heā€™s also one of the very few players we have who are in the prime of their career.

Our squad is nearly all either young lads or veterans with very little in between.

You could divide the younger players in this squad into probables (Bazunu, Kelleher, Collins, Omobamidele, Knight and Obafemi) and possibles (Molumby, Parrott, Idah, Ogbene, Connolly, Festy). Itā€™s the latter group who will decide whether we can mount a qualification challenge.

Festy is hitting Andy Reid territory here. Hasnā€™t kicked a competitive ball yet and is a nailed on starter in many lads teams. Heā€™s good lads, but give him time

1 Like