Irish soccerball nil - That boy Jinky will save us (Part 2)

That’s his level from what Ive seen of him with Ireland lately

They certainly aren’t interested in scoring goals anyway

Long piece but a cracking read on Irishness and the diaspora

3 Likes

Who or what sort of a crowd did Connolly fall into?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0726/1312411-connolly-its-vital-i-got-away-from-circle-in-england/

A bunch of corner boys and latchicos

3 Likes

Some interesting quotes alright:

“It’s either keep going in the phase I was going in and eventually I’ll just be completely forgotten. At the minute I’m probably the forgotten man in Irish football and if I kept associating with people I’d been associating with before, I would have completely gone off the scale,” said Connolly.

Talking the talk, can he back it up?

He’s a ballsy guy to come out with it if he can’t. A lazy lad moving to play in Italy might not be viewed as a positive thing either

Love Island crowd

I think it shows a bit of desire?

Oh it does, but if his work rate on the pitch is what we wants to demonstrate then it’s not exactly a league renowned for hard working players - then again, maybe it makes it easier for him

His build is a massive problem for a player trading on pace and dribbling. He is much less explosive than when he came on the scene. I was a big fan but I’d say he could be done.

He is in Serie B because no club with a hole in their pants in the Championship wanted to risk paying the wages such were his displays last season. Brighton said fuck it, we might as well send him somewhere where he’ll play. Championship in England is a tough school for the fat little fucker!

I’d say looking at him, he was doing what he could. He is built like a late career Wayne Rooney.

The quotes show a very rare level of self awareness and honesty at least. I don’t think I can remember another player basically admit they were strolling around the place and not bothering their hole.

Troy Parrott?

There always has been a unwarranted cockiness about Connolly and those quotes indicate that it’s still there, even if he’s trying to be self deprecating.

Let’s see how he gets on in Italy.

2 Likes

The older boys made me do it stuff is fairly pathetic really. He has his chance now to start over. He may take it. The next move will be back to Galway

With Galway folk you either get a flat accent or a full James Skehill skelping shtones accent

Huh? No chance?