Irish teams that have choked

Sonia O’Sullivan - 92 & 96 Olympics

maybe 96, in 92 Sonia was very young and finished way higher than expected.

tipp 2009. In fairness they redeemed themselves in 2010 before choking again for the next 2 years.

Galway hurlers most years.

Waterford 2008 probably the ultimate hurling choke

I can’t remember the exact years but Cork Footballers anytime they played Kerry in Croke Park in the last 10 or so years

“A test” :D. This is just a term used by rugby pundits / fans to make these friendly matches seem important, any game played outside of tournaments such as the World Cup, Six Nations or Tri-Nations are basically meaningless. Sure everybody knows that these tours are an end of season booze cruise for the Aussies, Kiwis and the Sith Ifricans. See also, The Loins tour which is a made up team on a month long drinking session.:pint:

Ah here, we come from a country where teams don’t even bother their arse in the league so I can understand your confusion when a team tries in a one-off game.

When I read about Sexton choking and missing a straightforward game winning kick in a friendly, it made me think again what a unique talent Robbie Keane is. The penalty against Spain at the death in the World Cup in 2002. The play-off goal in France in 2009. The play-off goal against Iran in 2001. The late goal in Italy in 2009. The goal in The Netherlands in 2000. The last goal against Germany in the World Cup. And many more crucial interventions on the biggest stage under the highest pressure. Freakishly good in Irish terms.

1 Like

Bandage just reminded me, Ray Cosgrove v’s Armagh, early 2000’s.

She is not a team.

'03 - Westmeath v Meath - Dessie Dolan

O’Gara v Scotland in 2007.

Meath v Wexford in Leinster Championship in 2008. They had a 14-point lead with something like 20 minutes left only to lose by one.

Euro '92 Qualifiers: Ireland 3 Poland 3 1991

Irish Rugby Team 2009 - Took a lick of wind to deliver the Grand Slam after Ireland tied up at the death.

the Oirish people when they voted to accept the treaty

Irish at Kinsale in 1601… major choke.

The people of Limerick when Cromwell came a calling

Not a choke mate.

Conor Niland at the All-England Lawn Tennis Championships, 2011.

Monaghan v Kerry in 2007?

[quote=“Mac, post: 865361, member: 109”]Irish Rugby team in the '00s.

• The time they shat themselves when Johnson stood in their place
  • The time they let France in to score in the first game in Croke Park
  • The time they should have won the 6 nations but didn’t score enough against Italy
  • World Cup vs Wales in 2011

Other Irish rugby examples

• World Cup vs Australia in 1991
  • World Cup vs Argentina in 1999 - 14 man line out
  • World Cup vs Australia in '03 - Humphries missed a penalty in the last few mins I think[/quote]

Not Irish.

What are they then?