Irish teams that have choked

In response to the crowing about Ireland’s last minute disappointment yesterday and the claims that they choked, I thought we should examine other examples of Irish teams that have showed similar performance issues over the last couple of years. Maybe as a sporting public we’re too accepting of it. Time to name and shame:

1. Ireland v France - World Cup qualifier. Winners don’t whine - the French had our number and the Irish went home with their tails between their legs.

2. Wexford v Dublin - multiple Leinster football championship games. These ones are notable as it’s fairly unusual for a Wexford team to be competitive in Croke park in recent years. Down the back straight though it was chokerama

3. Mayo - Multiple examples

4. Ireland @ Euro 2012 - Weren’t our fans just great?

5. Galway - AI 2012. When the pressure came on, the Macnas crowd put their masks on

6. Kerry - AI 2011. 4 points up and about 6 minutes to go. From Kings to paupers.

7. Limerick - 94 obviously, but plenty other examples including several football chokes v’s Kerry

8. Dublin - For about 15 years the whole country drew their breath, watched the hype grow, and then revelled in the big choke in July/August. See games v’s Mayo for particular examples

9. Munster Rugby - How many finals and semi-finals before they fell over the line. To this day it’s unclear whether they deserved their HEC’s or it was just the law of averages kicking in.

10 Irl v Spain - WC 2002. How many opportunities does one team need. Last train to chokesville.

These are just 10 off the top of my head, I’m sure there are plenty others across sports, levels etc. This scourge needs to be called out and exposed if we are ever to rid ourselves of it.

Any Mick McCarthy Irish team really, it took an implosion by the Netherlands to qualify for WC '02.

Ulster Rugby franchise in 2012 & 2013.

In individual events, McIlroy obviously, but also Sonia, Couglan, Annalise Murphy (sailing last year), tennis guy at Wimbledon …

Irish Rugby team in the '00s.

• The time they shat themselves when Johnson stood in their place
  • The time they let France in to score in the first game in Croke Park
  • The time they should have won the 6 nations but didn’t score enough against Italy
  • World Cup vs Wales in 2011

Other Irish rugby examples

• World Cup vs Australia in 1991
  • World Cup vs Argentina in 1999 - 14 man line out
  • World Cup vs Australia in '03 - Humphries missed a penalty in the last few mins I think

[quote=“tallback, post: 865333, member: 1158”]In response to the crowing about Ireland’s last minute disappointment yesterday and the claims that they choked, I thought we should examine other examples of Irish teams that have showed similar performance issues over the last couple of years. Maybe as a sporting public we’re too accepting of it. Time to name and shame:

1. Ireland v France - World Cup qualifier. Winners don’t whine - the French had our number and the Irish went home with their tails between their legs.

2. Wexford v Dublin - multiple Leinster football championship games. These ones are notable as it’s fairly unusual for a Wexford team to be competitive in Croke park in recent years. Down the back straight though it was chokerama

3. Mayo - Multiple examples

4. Ireland @ Euro 2012 - Weren’t our fans just great?

5. Galway - AI 2012. When the pressure came on, the Macnas crowd put their masks on

6. Kerry - AI 2011. 4 points up and about 6 minutes to go. From Kings to paupers.

7. Limerick - 94 obviously, but plenty other examples including several football chokes v’s Kerry

8. Dublin - For about 15 years the whole country drew their breath, watched the hype grow, and then revelled in the big choke in July/August. See games v’s Mayo for particular examples

9. Munster Rugby - How many finals and semi-finals before they fell over the line. To this day it’s unclear whether they deserved their HEC’s or it was just the law of averages kicking in.

10 Irl v Spain - WC 2002. How many opportunities does one team need. Last train to chokesville.

These are just 10 off the top of my head, I’m sure there are plenty others across sports, levels etc. This scourge needs to be called out and exposed if we are ever to rid ourselves of it.[/quote]

Rattled.

Not rattled, just in a fairly bad mood today after yesterday.

You should be used to losing by now, pal.

Anyway, it was only a friendly, nothing to cry about.

[quote=“Mac, post: 865361, member: 109”]Irish Rugby team in the '00s.

• The time they shat themselves when Johnson stood in their place
  • The time they let France in to score in the first game in Croke Park
  • The time they should have won the 6 nations but didn’t score enough against Italy
  • World Cup vs Wales in 2011

Other Irish rugby examples

• World Cup vs Australia in 1991
  • World Cup vs Argentina in 1999 - 14 man line out
  • World Cup vs Australia in '03 - Humphries missed a penalty in the last few mins I think[/quote]
    Wales 2009 - even when they won they had to rely on the opposition handing it to them.
    Any time they play New Zealand.
    2007 World Cup.
    2003 World Cup quarter-final v France.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 865370, member: 1796”]You should be used to losing by now, pal.

Anyway, it was only a friendly, nothing to cry about.[/quote]

Not a friendly, a test. Anyway, just because there was no silverware doesn’t mean its not competitive - yesterday was probably one of the more physical games of rugby I’ve been at in a while.

I’m not crying over it either, I’m just bitterly bitterly disappointed at how it finished. As a Limerick supporter, I’m sure you’re familiar enough with that Monday morning “fuck it” feeling.

2010 v Scotland.

[quote=“tallback, post: 865374, member: 1158”]Not a friendly, a test. Anyway, just because there was no silverware doesn’t mean its not competitive - yesterday was probably one of the more physical games of rugby I’ve been at in a while.

I’m not crying over it either, I’m just bitterly bitterly disappointed at how it finished. As a Limerick supporter, I’m sure you’re familiar enough with that Monday morning “fuck it” feeling.[/quote]

Most sports enthusiasts are, pal. Tis only a very few that are not that familiar with it.

You just got to dust yourself off, be gracious, yet defiantly vow that you are going to win (the six nations in your case) and call every cunt that doubts you a cunt.

And fyi, Limerick are Munster champions at club, minor and senior. That’s a great year. You horrible cunt.

The Wexford one is a great shout.

I’d also add in the time we had to beat Meath by something ridiculous like 13 points to get promotion and leading by 12 in injury time and missing a free from in front of the posts.
Every league in the last 3/4 years could be classed as a choke - including the final against Longford in 2012.

[quote=“Mac, post: 865382, member: 109”]The Wexford one is a great shout.

I’d also add in the time we had to beat Meath by something ridiculous like 13 points to get promotion and leading by 12 in injury time and missing a free from in front of the posts.
[/quote]
What makes that worse is that you choked against a team which themselves choked.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 865379, member: 1796”]Most sports enthusiasts are, pal. Tis only a very few that are not that familiar with it.

You just got to dust yourself off, be gracious, yet defiantly vow that you are going to win (the six nations in your case) and call every cunt that doubts you a cunt.

And fyi, Limerick are Munster champions at club, minor and senior. That’s a great year. You horrible cunt.[/quote]

As long as you’re happy settling for Munster’s, all power to you. You self-satisfied cunt.

Where did I say that you odious prick? It’s a base, we now need to push on.

You on the other hand would have been delighted to win a friendly :rolleyes:

No wonder Irish rugby has such a dismal record with loser mentality like that.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 865395, member: 1796”]Where did I say that you odious prick? It’s a base, we now need to push on.

You on the other hand would have been delighted to win a friendly :rolleyes:

No wonder Irish rugby has such a dismal record with loser mentality like that.[/quote]

I’m in a foul humor today Mark, don’t push me. Of course I’d have been delighted to win the test match.

How many more threads are we going to have on yesterday’s match?

It’s over - move on FFS sake.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 865402, member: 24”]How many more threads are we going to have on yesterday’s match?

It’s over - move on FFS sake.[/quote]

This is a broader thread about the Irish sporting mentality and tendency towards choking.

Some people have put it down to the inferiority complex brought about by being an occupied nation.

However that excuse doesn’t apply to rugby as rugby people don’t see Ireland as having ever being occupied.

2001 vs Scotland in the six nations was particularly galling. Of course all was forgiven in the media as we slayed the Sasanach a week later.