Irish Travellers - A Proud Ethnic Group

Arras is full of tinkers. It wouldn’t be too far from Beauvais

1 Like

Tarmac wouldn’t be as popular in France I’d say. Would they be any use to lay a few paving slabs or a bit of gravel

There might be a good market for useless generators.

3 Likes

Interesting puff piece on the folklore of travellers on RTE 1 now.

The auld travellers seem to be grand divils.

Tar babies

You’d still hear the phrase “dirty tar” as a term for slut.

2000 travellers in Knock Sunday as a 14 year old boy claimed he was having visions. Seems the Mayo air got to him and he did not deliver the goods.

I’d say there was some amount of robberies carried out up there, no point letting the entire trip be a waste of time.

4 Likes

Second episode of this on now.
It’s good watching.

Watching the first episode back now… It’s interesting enough… For all the bad associated with them, be a shame to lose the language/stories etc. etc… one thing I noticed a lot of when reading pre-Famine newspapers was that the traditions we associate with travellers today were carried out by and were every day common practice among the general rural public before the Famine and law and order sorted the country out.

Robbing and fucking people over?

11 Likes

Like Darren Gleeson? Or your man that robbed the Waterford county board? Sorry, I should have said exclusive to travellers only and not the general public.

Maybe they have a bit of traveller in them from the pre famine times and have carried the ‘traditions’ with them

Who mentioned anything about travellers in the pre-Famine? My post referenced settled people from that period… Unless you know more? Lads like you are gas, you’ll accept white collar crime as a part of life but would castigate travellers in quick time… It’s the English in you.

2 Likes

Who said I accept white collar crime?

Lots of assumptions and who-saiding going on here, calm down lads

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/24-hours-in-police-custody/on-demand/61751-011

Great episode about travelers

@ChocolateMice did.

Travellers should be excused of their robbing and thuggery and terrorising old folks, as there is some white collar crime going on. Seems to be the crux/whataboutery of @ChocolateMice argument.

Oh and they have some good old time stories, don’t forget that.

1 Like