Is It Time For Connacht To Come To The Rescue Of Leinster Hurling?

Inevitable that Galway will join the Leinster Championship after yesterday’s farce.

Also Galway and Kilkenny should be seeded so they are kept apart til the Leinster final.

Cant understand why Galway havent yet, no AI in 20 years or so yet, they keep their pointless structure.

Glaway entering Leinster wont help Offaly Laois Wexford Dublin etc, but it’ll at least guarantee Kilkenny one game and mean Cody can start talking up another team for a change.

Think Galway wont enter cos it means their underage teams wouldnt have the usual stroll to the AI quarters or semis? By the way, can anyone tell me when the last time Galway beat Wexford in a competitive game was? Bunch of Western chokers. I’d love to draw them in the quarters to shove it up Loughnanes hole.

I don’t think so. Leinster and Munster should be played off and over with by end of June. Then Open Draw with all counties into the hat. One concession I would make is for the provincial winners to be put through to the 2nd round of matches but then I would, being from KK.

You need 14 hurling teams, which we have: Cork, Wd, Tipp, Clare, Lim, KK, Wx, Gal, Dubs, Offaly, Antrim, Westmeath, Down, Kildare.

Lets say that Wex and Waterford win Leinster and Munster respectively: They get through to the quarter finals. The other 12 play off for the other 6 remaining places in the quarter finals. There is no seeding in the 1st round matches so who you get is who you get.

Provincial games are straight knock out, so too is the AI series. Everyone gets at least 2 games.

I think this would work! But only if it was open draw. You have the unpredictability of OD plus the provincial series (or the blessed Munster final should we say) gets to keep a significance.

Other option is to play Leinster and munster off. Drop say Kildare and Down off my original list and go straight into the 1st round, pull out 4 teams out of the hat and they’re through to the quarters, the rest play off to get there.

The current system is quite a joke. I don’t really give a scheidt about the traditionalists in Munster who marvel at their own championship and would hate to see it abolished but it would appear logical to have a system where each team has to play the same number of games to win the title. Something like two groups of six on a league basis with the top two in each section qualifying for the semi-finals. It’s blatantly ridiculous to have teams in Munster knocking the crap out of each other to get to the same stage as Galway who don’t have to beat anyone really.

I think attendances would suffer badly if a league format was introduced. (I know they can’t get much worse than yesterdays).

I think they should let Galway in for a two year trial period and see how that works out. I really think tampering with the Munster championship would be a bad idea. Although i do accept the point about the teams in munster having to go hell for leather to reach the same stage as a Galway team with no games played.

Runt - they’ve tried to “let” Galway in but Galway keep refusing.

Sorry, ya I didn’t phrase that very well. They should put Galway in!

Friend of mine came up with this system…

All Ireland series would mean a champions league/world cup type scenario

Get the provincials out of the way by mid june. Start first weekend in May play a match every 2 weeks. Then start of july to 10 teams go into 2 groups of 5 teams. Provicial winners get top seeding then open draw for the rest. Everyone plays 4 matches so say at thurlas some sunday you could have a double header of KK v Cork and Galway v Waterford make things very interesting. Top of first group plays second place in the second group and vice versa in semis. Bottom 2 in each group play off for relegation to Christy ring cup. Winners of Christy to be promoted All Ireland series the following year

KK Tipp
Cork Wexford
Limerick Waterford
Clare Galway
Offaly Dublin

They were in the Munster Championship: cried out of it and returned to the Semi’s instead.

The thing to remember about Galway: they are all talk, whether they’re winning or losing; its still all talk.

When they’re winning its all “we always knew we were this good” e.g. v KK in 05 semi.
And when they’re on the loosing side: “The format doesn’t help Galway Hurling”

Listen to them now: Jesus you’d swear Joe Canning is able to part the shannon.

Big mistake on Ger Loughnanes part; biggest mistake of his career; should have take the Waterford job.

I was chatting to the forum’s very own briantinnion yesterday about championship structures and he had a very worthwhile suggestion. He reckons the Leinster Championship should be run off the way the national File is over one weekend in May. It’d be held in a different Leinster county every year and the games would be run off in a blitz format. There would be 2 groups and the group games on the Saturday would be 10 minutes a half. The top two in each group would then qualify for the semis on the Sunday morning (15 minutes a half) before the final (20 minutes a half) on Sunday afternoon for live TV coverage. They could play the games in Bellefield in Enniscorthy or somewhere. The families of the home county players would be responsible for hosting the opposition teams for the weekend. It’s definitely worth considering.

The galway county board are one of the most backward in the country…full of auld die hards who have too many bad memories of when galway went down to munster and got quiet a few trimmings…galway and antrim should both be brought into leinster…

secondly (and i can’t stress this point enough) the munster championship has to be kept…its not munsters fault that offaly wexford and dublin are miles behind kilkenny…

[quote=“The Puke”]
secondly (and i can’t stress this point enough) the munster championship has to be kept…its not munsters fault that offaly wexford and dublin are miles behind kilkenny…[/quote]

100% correct.

That exactly on the button there Puke, the pricks that are on that county board will never allow Galway to go in to Leinster. Conor Hayes was very outspoken on wanting to get into Leinster when he was in charge but the powers that be would not entertain it.
They want the underage teams to have their continued success despite the fact Galway seniors only usually win one big game every year(if even) and then shit their pants in the next one.
Also you could see why there would be objections from counties in Leinster too in not wanting Galway to join. A league format would be fair for everyone with the top two from 2groups going into the semis but this won’t happen either as the Munster championship will never be got rid of. And to be honest if I was from Munster myself I probably wouldn’t like to see it got rid off either.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]They were in the Munster Championship: cried out of it and returned to the Semi’s instead.

The thing to remember about Galway: they are all talk, whether they’re winning or losing; its still all talk.

When they’re winning its all “we always knew we were this good” e.g. v KK in 05 semi.
And when they’re on the loosing side: “The format doesn’t help Galway Hurling”

Listen to them now: Jesus you’d swear Joe Canning is able to part the shannon.

Big mistake on Ger Loughnanes part; biggest mistake of his career; should have take the Waterford job.[/quote]

Its not the Galway people that are talking up Joe Canning its the media. People such as Martin Breheny, Vincent Hogan, Colm Keys and even that pr1ck John McIntyre, not one of them are from Galway.
The Galway County Board are an absolute disgrace. Any of the team Ive heard interviewed, and the vast majority of the general public here in Galway are completely in favour of the hurlers going into Leinster yet do you think those dinosaurs in the county board listened, not a chance. Pack of w@nkers are more interested in their own agendas than the good of Galway hurling.
Mac you call Galway chokers, yet bar the obvious exception in 2004 your own team sh1te their pants everytime theyve played Kilkenny and have made little of no impact on the hurling championship over the past decade.

[quote=“JackFlash”]Its not the Galway people that are talking up Joe Canning its the media. People such as Martin Breheny, Vincent Hogan, Colm Keys and even that pr1ck John McIntyre, not one of them are from Galway.
The Galway County Board are an absolute disgrace. Any of the team Ive heard interviewed, and the vast majority of the general public here in Galway are completely in favour of the hurlers going into Leinster yet do you think those dinosaurs in the county board listened, not a chance. Pack of w@nkers are more interested in their own agendas than the good of Galway hurling.
Mac you call Galway chokers, yet bar the obvious exception in 2004 your own team sh1te their pants everytime theyve played Kilkenny and have made little of no impact on the hurling championship over the past decade.[/quote]

So its all the County Boards fault. (Although I think ye may have used that one before too.)

Take them on then. Strike.

Strike Strike Strike
Or choke choke choke.

I fail to see your arguement here. Bar one or 2 flash in the pan performances what have Galway contributed over the past decade? This isn’t an arguement about Galway vs Wexford by the way. We’re talking purely about Galway.