Is JBM going to go from cork

He doesn’t get on with JBM anyways for a start. Not sure why but that is pretty much common knowledge I would have thought? He was a huge loss this season

True. It was their utterly shite touch, something that wasn’t a problem when Cunningham was training them.

Don’t agree. Their attitude and more particularly the attitude of the forwards against Tipp was a disgrace. One or two of them made no tackle the entire match.

Touch was fine against Limerick and Clare and second against against Waterford. At half time against Tipp Cork were still in it but attitude in second half was very poor.

Cunningham is a good coach but I wonder if he has the personality to lead a team with strong personalities and where rebuilding is needed. it’s a six hour commute to Dublin and back to Cork - longer if he is arriving into traffic on Naas Road. a lot of hurling people in Dublin wanted a Dublin based manager who knows the club game in Dublin and not a “big name” so if results go against him early he has no goodwill there

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1028661, member: 2272”]Don’t agree. Their attitude and more particularly the attitude of the forwards against Tipp was a disgrace. One or two of them made no tackle the entire match.

Touch was fine against Limerick and Clare and second against against Waterford. At half time against Tipp Cork were still in it but attitude in second half was very poor.

Cunningham is a good coach but I wonder if he has the personality to lead a team with strong personalities and where rebuilding is needed. it’s a six hour commute to Dublin and back to Cork - longer if he is arriving into traffic on Naas Road. a lot of hurling people in Dublin wanted a Dublin based manager who knows the club game in Dublin and not a “big name” so if results go against him early he has no goodwill there[/QUOTE]
The Newlands Cross flyover will be finished by the end of the year. Winter training will likely be on the all weather in Ballymun, so Ger won’t see a traffic jam at all.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1028661, member: 2272”]Don’t agree. Their attitude and more particularly the attitude of the forwards against Tipp was a disgrace. One or two of them made no tackle the entire match.

Cunningham is a good coach but I wonder if he has the personality to lead a team with strong personalities and where rebuilding is needed. it’s a six hour commute to Dublin and back to Cork - longer if he is arriving into traffic on Naas Road. a lot of hurling people in Dublin wanted a Dublin based manager who knows the club game in Dublin and not a “big name” so if results go against him early he has no goodwill there[/QUOTE]

The players seemingly sought a “big name” outsider who could compare to Daly. Danny Sutcliffe, for example, was very clear about that in several media interviews in recent weeks.

Yes I saw that.

UCC’s Seanie Mcgrath is fitness coach - Dublin based selectors have been approached to work with Cunningham and they are deciding - Liam Hogan is one of them I heard and he is expected to take up the offer

The walls are coming down on this Dublin hurling revival pal, we have them where we want them. Combined with Offaly and Westmeath voting to reject Galway’s inclusion in the Minor and U21 I can see Laois & Wexford dominating Leinster for years to come.

First and foremost their problem was touch. Was their other problems? Yes, but their control, and by extension, their finishing was abysmal. As bad as we were in the first half we still should have been winning at ht by 2-3…expect that repeatedly again and again they made awful errors, often under zero pressure.

Yes the likes of Horgan were lazy as fuck - unfortunately that is par for the course for him, and a few others.

anyway, my information was clearly bogus, or did he do an about turn?

He heard Aidan Walsh was going to go solely for football and thanked his lucky stars.

did Walsh make that decision? I thought he’d go with the hurling

It actually had flatty. I have it on good authority that Cork did lots of 400\800 type training and a lot of full speed training. That’s completely missing the point of Gaelic, and indeed most field sports. Hurlers virtually never reach top speed, and only occasionally does a long distance attacking corner back like McGlynn or the Dublin lads reach it without the ball (you will never reach top speed with the ball). So why train at it so much?
Both sports are all about accellaration,deceleration, twisting, turning, stepping, agility, strength & power. These should Be the mainstay of any programming. It was very obvious to me Cork were not as good as other teams over the past two years to accellarate. Of all the qualities of speed its the one thing you can improve the most. Cork are on record as admitting they only really got stuck into strength training all year this past year. I find that amazing.

So I disagree, they looked fit and were in good nick, but they were not hurling fit, or at least not 100%. Probably about 60-70%

I suspect he’ll move up there from Thursday to Sunday or something. He is a big shot at Bord Gas isn’t it? He’ll work his promotional stuff from there and maybe do a bit here and there early in the week in cork.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1028726, member: 273”]It actually had flatty. I have it on good authority that Cork did lots of 400\800 type training and a lot of full speed training. That’s completely missing the point of Gaelic, and indeed most field sports. Hurlers virtually never reach top speed, and only occasionally does a long distance attacking corner back like McGlynn or the Dublin lads reach it without the ball (you will never reach top speed with the ball). So why train at it so much?
Both sports are all about accellaration,deceleration, twisting, turning, stepping, agility, strength & power. These should Be the mainstay of any programming. It was very obvious to me Cork were not as good as other teams over the past two years to accellarate. Of all the qualities of speed its the one thing you can improve the most. Cork are on record as admitting they only really got stuck into strength training all year this past year. I find that amazing.

So I disagree, they looked fit and were in good nick, but they were not hurling fit, or at least not 100%. Probably about 60-70%[/QUOTE]

trainer was shocked at levels of aerobic fitness when he came in first so worked on that as it was easiest thing to improve

last year and year before (apart from pre season fitness stuff) a lot of the in season training was speed and agility training - huge focus on acceleration drills etc - player I know told me they had done simple things like positioning of feet and weight distribution on feet that he never thought about but once shown were simple

While he has been in charge Cork have had a very good record with injuries (other than broken bones and impact injuries which isn’t his fault) and that tends to point to somebody who is tailoring it properly

My own view is physically they are well prepared but as a group of lads they are almost too nice - they need a bit of ruthlessness from the sideline too - Cronin should have been taken off after 15 minutes against Tipp. In the League they need to demand effort and if effort not given then off they go

took redundancy last year so maybe he will have the time

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1028732, member: 2272”]trainer was shocked at levels of aerobic fitness when he came in first so worked on that as it was easiest thing to improve

last year and year before (apart from pre season fitness stuff) a lot of the in season training was speed and agility training - huge focus on acceleration drills etc - player I know told me they had done simple things like positioning of feet and weight distribution on feet that he never thought about but once shown were simple

While he has been in charge Cork have had a very good record with injuries (other than broken bones and impact injuries which isn’t his fault) and that tends to point to somebody who is tailoring it properly

My own view is physically they are well prepared but as a group of lads they are almost too nice - they need a bit of ruthlessness from the sideline too - Cronin should have been taken off after 15 minutes against Tipp. In the League they need to demand effort and if effort not given then off they go[/QUOTE]
Maybe the year just gone was more focused, but I know in 2013 they didn’t, and that was obvious against Clare.

However you are right about the injuries, a very important point. Overall he did a good job though, no taking that away.
You probably need someone doing strength,power & speed and someone else doing the field conditioning, which largely should be based around energy system use and small sided or conditioned games. In theory you could train a team to its Max without every running further than 30M in a straight line. However mentally that’s a very hard bridge to cross with players who are mentally conditioned to believe they need to be doing at least some back breaking running. You’d almost be doing it to pacify.

Genuinely I fell that corks biggest issue against Clare in 2013 was the fact that bar harnedy they couldn’t win any of their own puck outs nor could their half back line win any of Clares. It’s actually amazing that they managed to draw the first game.

Clarke were first to the breaks for 140 mins and had a far superior touch in the frenzy that it was. This is purely training.

Puck outs was an issue,but iblame sideline for lack of strategy and adjustment there, and Nash to a certain extent as well.