Italy - a failed society

Didn’t a lot of them get the shit bombed out of them 80 years ago?

1 Like

That’s been going on a good while. Where herselfs family is from you can buy a beautiful old apartment for 30k.
High earthquake risk mind, and it’s perched on a cliff

Rome is Rome is Rome for sure, but it is definitely a dirty and very crowded city. People can be pretty rude too. Edinburgh is beautiful. It stands out to me in that it is unlike most other British cities. I would put it up there with any similar sized Italian city. Italy has more picturesque cities v the UK though.
The thing with Ireland and the UK is that, in general, the towns (and food) nearly all look the same, north to south. (Maybe not so much in the very north of Scotland).
Milan has nothing to do with Palermo. Same in Spain. Andalusian towns have nothing to do with ones in the Basque country. The food changes as well.
You get the same carvery in Malin head as Misen head! :wink:
I think you can get the Italian experience in smaller cities in Italy, which are just as pretty as Rome.

2 Likes

They say that’s the reason Italians gesticulate so much when talking, because they can understand each other region to region.

I loved Naples but it’s not a very pretty city and I get why others wouldn’t like it. The likes of Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are impossibly picturesque.

Of the other Italian cities ive seen, and Florence isn’t one of them (:cry:) I’d probably pick Verona as the nicest.

1 Like

@Batigol I agree. Verona is top drawer. It was bloody cold and foggy when I was there though. Which reminds me, I read a good book “A season with Verona” years ago. Worth a read. I also agree about Naples. Both beautiful and a shithole / dodgy at the same time.
I have been to Bologna and Catania, and Gorizia up by the Slovenian border. I would like to visit the German speaking area way up north, and Bergamo / Brescia.
Around Verona, there seems to be lots of smaller little towns and cities that each look to be very pretty.
I spent a bit in Genoa too years ago with a job. It is a port, so brings all the problems a port can have. Pickpockets etc, but the food was fantastic.
Umbria / Perugia is supposed to be worth a look, as well as Lecce in the south.
I remember reading about the different p0rn habits around Europe, how films made in Germany would differ to ones in Italy. Italian p0rn was big into women and fellas getting shagged up the bum. Not sure if it all revolves around the Italian expression “inculato/a” (buggered). I remember lads asking other lads “ah you pulled yer wan last night, did you go up the chocolate channel”. They were mad fer it.

Almost as beautiful as the coast of Dublin.

The eyetalans love Ireland. But only for a weekend. In fairness the eyetalans are great at marketing themselves.

1 Like

There were loads of them over on the Aran Islands the day I was there in August.

roaring and shouting and in their “Ireland” hoodies or Decathlon rain jackets!

It was definitely a rain jacket day.

1 Like

Trieste is a nice spot

1 Like

Tis. It’s more “Shloveeeeen” as they’d say in Limerick than it is “eyetalan”.

1 Like

Got on great the few times there working

1 Like

I dated a girl from South Tyrol for a few months in college. She was on Erasmus. She spoke German and English, but very little Italian. The German speaking population of this region really are Austrians, they were a part of Austria for hundreds of years til the Treaty of Versailles fucked then over after WWI.

They had completely different ID cards to the rest of Italy. Different colour scheme and written out in German

1 Like

If not mistaken, they have their own laws there? A federal type scenario? I shared a flat with a guy from there. He was an odd fish.

1 Like

Siena is beautiful,I was there last year.

1 Like

Yes, they’re one of the five autonomous regions of Italy, 5 out of the 20 regions are basically self governing at local level.

1 Like

I didn’t know this! I always thought it was just that Tirol region.