It's grim up North

You’ve obviously learned nothing in the last 10 years if you’re still relying on polls.

Ah this “fake news” stuff. Polls actually showed that Brexit and Trump were close.

It’s 1 in 3 in favour of a UI, the numbers are entrenched.

The NI Protocol will make a UI even harder.

The only hope for a change in the constitutional status of NI is Scottish independence and a disintegration of the Union.

So yes B and NI up.

Add up everyone there that says “Irish” and you have the 1 in 3 that polls show would vote for a UI.

In terms of “NI only”, what you’re forgetting here was that this came from a similar pool as the declining “British” vote in demographic terms.

The long and the short of it is that in 25 years support for a UI has moved marginally despite extremely favourable demographics. They aren’t winning in any of the areas they need to be- “Castle Catholics” are still Castle Catholics and have grown, Unionists disgusted with mainstream Unionism have moved to the Alliance and others…

The elephant in the room is who is “leading” nationalism.

There’s only one thing that matters, who in Northern Ireland would vote for a United Ireland.

The most in depth poll (it’s tickling that you reject polls but think “surveys” are more representative :rofl:) conducted last month showed it as 1 in 3.

You keep saying “the important thing is who would vote for a UI”, but then mention the DUP. Nobody is talking about the DUP ffs. Those are dying off but where are the replacement demographics going? I can tell you where they aren’t going in sufficient numbers.

The delusion is strong…keep believing though!

That must be your mantra.

Can’t put a government together?

My mantra for what? You’re talking shite about polls on the one hand but then bringing up “surveys” (:rofl:). You’re talking about SF being smart and moving a different way on social issues when @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy showed that it is purely populist. They’re “progressive” when it wins votes and not when it doesn’t.

Detailed Polls have consistently shown that NI rejects unification. Nationalists are not winning enough votes in new areas and as a % are static.

The piece I posted was on how the British viewed the 50 year event as coming in 2040 or so. Well that has come now. Demographics are incredibly favourable for a UI and Brexit should have turbo charged it but here we are with just 1 in 3 in favour. And as the NI Protocol settled in along with SF tasting power in the south, it is unlikely to materially change in the next decade. It might get to the mid 30s but that’s it.

I’m not an SF cheerleader, far from it, but they’re populism has served to hold onto younger voters. The DUP have not done this.

If you’re honestly trying interpret different polls to try and argue that a United Ireland is miles away I’d suggest you take a trip into the North and visit Derry & Belfast. I’ve been up here almost 10 years and the changes are ridiculous.

Change is coming far quicker that you think.

The Nationalist vote is static from 1998.

They need to be winning new votes, which they are failing to do.

Their strategy is to win the sectarian carve up up north and to win enough votes in the south to justify their campaign. The only plan is to win more votes within the “systems” (Westminster, Stormont and Dáil), not change the system and constitutional position of the country.

“Change is coming quicker than you think” - an empty statement which means absolutely nothing with regards to the data we have. Change should be here now, it’s on 1 in 3 voters.

In my opinion, stressing the word opinion here, its clear to see that the Loyalist influence is diminishing.

That creates a vacuum for a political entity that is not linked to loyalism or nationalism, or one that is acceptable to both sides of the divide.

You’re too focused on the hard core voters. Most young voters couldn’t give a flying fuck so long as they’re happy and have money in their pockets.

1 Like

Duh, that’s already happened. And it’s not manifesting itself in more support for a UI.

Not yet anyhow. I reckon it’ll happen soon enough.

You “reckon”, that’s settled then. :rofl:

I respect your willingness to use dodgy data.

I’m going more on the groups I see my 19 year old hang out with in Derry and Belfast. Al they want is a happy life and care more about global issues than the Battle of the Boyne.

Ah this owl chestnut.

They just want peace and quiet, and they don’t care about the past.

But of course that logic does not hold for a United Ireland. The disruption it would cause to their daily lives and the plain change in their lives is all irrelevant.

Here’s the polls of polls.

And here’s the census.

That’s “dodgy” data according to you.

You seem very driven to rule out a United Ireland.

I’m not overly familiar with you so let me ask if you would vote for a United Ireland?

You lads are stuck in the 20th century. Climate trumps Irish unity and your bullshit ‘nationalist’ ‘unionist’ ‘catholic’ ‘prostestant’ tags that you need to put on people.

1 Like

I would on the proviso that it was funded without an increase for tax payers down here.

Sadly the data shows this isn’t happening.

It’s all pretty irrelevant though, we are talking about data to support your arguments here and what has happened over the last 25 years. You bringing up a person’s opinion on a UI is neither here nor there, but a typical tactic when floundering. Similar to the old shite of the “young don’t care and just want peace and quiet” (but they definitely want a UI!) yarn you spun above there. Usually gets a few handy likes for the likes of @Halfpipe in these scenarios too.