The north/really good looking fellas

The Chuckle Sisters

1 Like

Jarlath got a lend of @TheUlteriorMotive s coat for the evening.

Emma Little Pengelly could yet be the first female Taoiseach. She can top my poll any day.

1 Like

Ian Og was a very hands on mentor to Mrs little-pengaly when she started out in politics

Dirty bitch I’d venture

Saucy

That picture of Jarlath Burns and ELP taken the same day as findings are published that state agents were involved in the killing of Sean Brown nicely sums up the challenges that still exist up here.
I know some fellas on here know all the details of these killings already and think inquiries are a waste of time, but Sean Browns daughter was on the radio this morning and was clearly shocked by the revelations. 1997 the murder happened, hopefully their efforts to get more details are supported.
Despite all them legacy issues that need tackling in the background, there is a fine sense of optimism about the place and especially among the young. Some change in the place in a relatively short time.

10 Likes

Everything should go just fine in the North if everyone can just be convinced to forget everything that went on in the past.

Jesus Christ.

I see Jarlath Burns was at the hearing today in relation to this case. What is believed to have happened @Halfpipe? State agents and if so why?

Just a pure sectarian murder of an entirely innocent man as far as I know but I wouldn’t be fully informed on matters. Others here probably know better, and others here will think they know better.
What is definitely true is a couple of weeks before the murder Willie McCrea lost his seat to McGuinness in the Westminster election, and he said that the nationalist community had voted for a murderer, there would be a price to pay for that and they would live to regret it. Willie of course was up to his neck in paramilitarism, had previously called for RAF airstrikes on Dundalk and Crossmaglen, and had stated he would “never condemn the murder of a Fenian”.
On top of that this was 1997 and some of the more contentious parades were starting to be stopped, including one going through Bellaghy a few days after the election result and before Sean Brown was murdered. That made Bellaghy a target.
As to why an innocent man like Sean Brown, mainly because he was involved in the GAA, was very well liked and was working cross community. That was enough for some.
Like all things up here it was all very murky and the full truth will never be revealed.

14 Likes

A really great post. The ‘truth’ often so complex and multifaceted as ever in the north. I find it fascinating though. Thanks @Halfpipe.

2 Likes

I know a few from Bellaghy and they’d be trying to explain certain things about what went on up there, but its far too complex for a simpleton like me to fully get my head around.

Its still a staunch Republican town though and those Saoradh lads are very prominent up there.

Sean Brown’s son died very sadly from cancer a year or two back having only been diagnosed a few weeks previously I think.

1 Like

If there is one bit of good news it is that Baron McCrea of Magherafelt and Cookstown is still in fine fettle - it would be lovely to think his health holds up long enough for him to see a United Ireland.

2 Likes

Do you remember the Newton emerson article about our perilous shorelines, and what the rev could do to reduce boating accidents?

Go on…

Basically there was a scurrilous and totally untrue story about to break on bbc. It involved two senior dup figures and their saucy parties they attended, while in london…serving their constituents. A super injunction put it all to bed. Newton felt willie should improve safety of our coasts by renting more buoys…he suggested that the public should demand that willie rent buoys, right to his face like. I don’t know if anything came of it.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1764672659248361958?t=I7gTQ53ursCdEOsrl91nOw&s=19

2 Likes

More fuckin n cover ups the cunts