It's grim up North

I R A

He was UVF

I R A mutdered too

All sides did Joe — You just always seem to forget the Crown forces and the Loyalists.

England bastards

1 Like

Basher Bates was some man

cc @mickee321

I’m absolutely shocked. The pack of utter cunts.

We dont know the half of it mate…

I’m speechless. That fat cunt got three years for all he did.
It’s a tribute to human nature that there were so few active gunmen on the republican side.
Words fail me.

There’s loads of good BBC docs on youtube about a lot of this stuff … we will never know a lot of shit that really went down.

Anne cadwalladers ‘lethal allies’ and Paul larkins 'a very British jihad ’ give you a fair idea.
Lethal allies is just sublime meticulous journalism. Larkins book seems a tiny bit farfetched until you read lethal allies…

1 Like

There was an excellent doc on BBC 2 last night called the funeral killings. Well worth a watch

2 Likes

Here’s another good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA1X4kp4woQ

Good documentary on BBC about the shootout in Milltown Cemetery at the Gibraltar funerals and the killing of the British soldiers at the following funerals - 30 years ago this month. Jarry ‘I was never in the RA’ featured prominently

Just watched The Funeral Killings. Really well put together by Vanessa Eagle who is clearly a brilliant journalist. I vividly remember those couple of weeks and I often struggle through trying to make sense of it. Which is impossible. There was no sense to it. Everyone on every side was in some way to blame for those horrendous three events. I remember it affected my parents quite deeply.
There’s a republican in the doco (can’t remember the name, will watch it again a few dozen times and name him) who offers an excellent view atvthe end “You don’t believe anyone, you just listen to their perspective”.
In the safe middle class Irish Republic of 1988 when we started to get excited about all facets of the Irish economy and government finally working together to start driving the economy, this happening in the far, far away north, a people alien to ourselves, some began to finally understand what was at stake here. It was a horrible time.
There are still huge questions the British have to answer about those weeks, but never will.

Sean Murrey I believe his name was. He was a first cousin of one of the Gibraltar Three. He came across very well in it.

I thought the lady who had her face pixilated and spoke about her mother witnessing the swarming of the car with the two Corporals in it came across as a bit of a simpleton and had no place in the documentary. She was giving a second hand account and was not very bright.

3 Likes

She called her son after the two brits that died - poignant

Smash and Grab?

Those were rough times. The ruc had their sas trained elite unit on standby, yards away, but they couldn’t get the go-ahead to rescue the two soldiers.

Derek and ?