Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

John Muldoon of Connacht fame was a proud Portunma man.

Think there is a rugby club there. In the early years there was always talk that Joe could be lost to rubby. Especially with him going to the likes of Limerick for 3rd level.

3 Likes

There is and it’s influence has strenghthened over the years in the area.

Was Lynchy any good, led me to believe he was a left footed Ronan O Gara!

His older brother Ivan was a good rugby player. Eventually went back hurling for the club.

A Protestant Outhalf???

Wouldn’t have a clue. I’d be a bit older than him but we always had good rugby players in the area. The Smyths, Andy and the brothers were very good. I was in school with the older brother.

1 Like

Good god, Imagine what we would have missed out on if this had materialised & he off plodding around the field with an egg.

Who would lads like Eoin Lynch have played rugby for when younger? There was no club in Portumna for years and years, it only started up again in the last 20 years didn’t it?

Correct, in my time they played in school and clubwise Ballinasloe or Loughrea and possibly Nenagh. Eddie O’Sullivan was the GDO in the area at the time and coached us in school.
Back in 1991, when Ireland met Australia in the world cup final, Simon Geoghegan went up against Tim Horan, both of who’s fathers hailed from the neighbouring parish of Killimor.

7 Likes

You talking late 90s there? He was a PE teacher in Mountbellew in the early 90s I’m sure

Well I played Senior Cup in 90/91 and he coached us. I don’t know how long he was there after that.

2 Likes

Portumna CS got to a connacht schools final at the turn of the century and were robbed by garbally at the end. Chunky who was a good all round sportsman kicking penalties. The smiths were the half back pair at one stage on the Ireland juniors (poorer relation to Ireland schools team) lynch, the Muldoon’s etc they just had a gang of lads around the same age who were brilliant athletes and competitiors. Never had them before or since. Luckily Joe came along while there was still a kick in them

1 Like

Didn’t Joe himself play Fly half for Portumna CS in the 2006 Connacht Schools Cup?

I think he did but they weren’t getting to finals then

1 Like

Had him in hrc (Mountbellew) in the early 90s

2 Likes

What is the story with Jack? Has the few years of rugby fucked his hurling?

It sounds like Portumna are going to be a Kiltormer and be back at intermediate soon enough. Sad to see clubs go back but that’s the way it goes.

Rubby is a blight… Young lads pursuing it for a shot at a pro contract and all they end up with is multiple concussions.

BlackRock in Salthill is full of young lads about six foot five, with muscles from the ears down wearing Connacht shorts.

He still is!