Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Having gone that far with the Gáeilge you’d have thought they’d have managed a Séosamh to wrap it up. Pitiful attempt.

1 Like

They might have realised on completion there was a slim chance of no one knowing who it was supposed to be

Lookit, Joe Canning was an adornment on the game of hurling and I’m so lucky to have seen him weave his magic in the flesh.
Happy are we, the lucky few.
Gallimh Abu

7 Likes

They lost the handle too.

Would they not get Macnas to do a giant papier-mâché model of Joe’s head ?

7 Likes

Joe will have to review his position in Springtime as Horgan is arrowing in on the record. He’s just 40 odd behind now with 1 if not 2 more outings this year. The round-robin nature of championship means another scatter of games next year if he carries on. The Corkness in them should see him tapping over frees into 2024 or whatever it takes……

The Welcome back a Séosamh thread will burst the internet.

There was a documentary made about the Portumna hurlers, it was shown on TV3 I think back around 2004 or so. Fly on the wall style following them for the season, they lost to one of the Antrim teams in the A/I semi that year.

Anyone know if this has ever made its way online?

I vaguely remember them playing poker in it.

This is the one I believe featuring a lovely Loughrea cameo. There’s a few parts to it though.

2 Likes

Pride of the Parish I think it was called

2 Likes

No, this one predates Joe. Was shown as a special on TV3 as part of the nightly sports show they used to have on around 10:30 or 11pm on a week night and the likes of Tevor Walsh hosting

Was there one done on Thurles Sars and Tuam Stars too?

I only recall the Portumna one. It was a decent show from what I recall, proper fly on the wall job as opposed to one to paint them in a perfect light. Can’t remember the game or context but there was a fairly serious tunnel brawl in one of the matches

Serious commitment to tog out in a league game for Portumna the day after being knocked out of championship with Galway. Most county players would still be in the pub at that stage.

S&C coaches nowadays would get heart attacks about lads playing 2 games in 24 hours

1 Like

And pints.

1 Like

Was Athenry mate. Good show.

1 Like

Will do them no harm to get a scare. Good man Joe. He knows what’s important. Blood sweat and tears for his club

1 Like

Davy is already in talks with him

Would there be a rugby influence around Portumna?
@Iggy @flattythehurdler

Eoin Lynch once said to me he had a tug of hearts which code to commit to , said the Father was a rugby man and had a decent run with Connaught.