Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Same as, but I can think of 5 individuals off the top of my head that lived in Castlegar and played for Mellows.

A close friend of mine from Craughwell took me around Galway City’s GAA geography for a couple of days in 2010. Most enjoyable. We actually pucked a ball in Rahoon-Newcastle’s ground.

1 Like

OLG suffering a bit lately I hear with a few good young lads going out to the Boro from that school.

Yer club structures are excellent but getting out of junior is very difficult. Would two up/down between intermediate and junior help?

Those were the days. South Galway derby’s with an extra pinch of badmind.

4 Likes

The next time you’re down, give us a shout and we’ll meet you for a puck around. Can’t say fairer than that.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure. I certainly think that whilst inter club transfers will continue to be sticky where not symbiotic for all parties, kids will be able to start where they want without such a slide rule applied, for better or worse.

He also moved to Castlegar from Kilconly. @Malarkey, as you can see @ironmoth is far more informed on this than me, but the discussion here also reminded me that there is some rule in Galway (not sure if it is in the books or just an accepted approach) that you can transfer clubs if moving up the grades. Brady was an example of this, a minor keeper from Mountbellew went to Turloughmore on a similar basis 20 years ago, and I am sure there have been more.

But there would be no problem, really, if the lad from Kinvara was living in the city, no?

1 Like

My bit of land you could land a poc fada in from there.

Yeah, Kavanagh was living in the city at that stage.

Okay! But I think my days of pucking around might be done. Lifting a glass might be another matter.

I know Galway quite well, having lived there in the early 1990s.

2 Likes

No it is not.

As it stands I would say 90% of rural clubs in Tipperary have players outside their parish playing with them. It might be 500 yards either side but a boundary is a boundary.

Do you think a 30 something year old couple who move 5 miles out the country from Thurles are concerned what parish they are in? They probably won’t know and will just send their kids to Durlas Og.

Clubs will just have to do the best they can.

So, nothing odd there, really. City clubs just have a different culture, over many decades.

Is that Conor Kavanagh, former Minor?

Yes. The very lad.

U14 or 16 feile… We hosted a daft shower of fuckers from Carrick on Shannon

Kids can always start where they or where their parents want really. I’d say most clubs would have lads from just outside parish boundaries playing for them and vice versa. Its if you go to change is where issues arise

1 Like

You’ve St Joseph’s parish which is actually vast, but doesn’t have a GAA club per se, and other odd clubs like old ground. I’ve known lads turn out for Old Ground and other clubs in the same week. It’s complicated yet simple enough. By and large, where you start is up to you, but it’s also where you finish.

Those comments are a set of totally different opinions. You are talking about human motivations rather than human knowledge.

Meanwhile plenty of people know, and will continue to know, exactly where a parish boundary lies. Out the country, there is usually water involved.

I think it means less to a more nomadic population perhaps.

Had never heard of Old Ground GAA Club…