Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Shantalla (Sean talamh)
Not even sure it’s a club anymore. They’d play in Westside. Football only.

I know plenty of lads that lived In Town but said fuck mellows and played for castlegar :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, agreed. And derogation is a massive factor.

Yet was there not a celebrated case brought in recent years by a young Kerry fella’s parents, arguing he should be allowed to play with the club attached to the parish in which he attended national school rather than with the club attached to the parish in which he resided? Unless I am going mad, there was such a case – and the parish rule held sway, legally, in the end.

I know plenty who correctly said fuck both, and played for RHN**

** I may have made this up

1 Like

Up a road near UCG?

Kerry is a basket case.

There’s lads down in Cahersiveen 80 years of age who have never been past Killarney in their lives.

Most young people don’t give a fuck about parish boundaries. The knowledge isn’t being passed down the generations.

Kinvara is 17 miles from Galway city and I’m sure he had a car.

There was. Iirc it ended up in the European courts. A stupid piece of pedantry which thankfully is isolated and wouldn’t have happened in any sensible setting. The lad lived 100 yards from the other club, but just the wrong side of the ditch, and wanted to walk to training and play with his friends. The whole thing was disgraceful on the surface, though there may have been more to it.

Would Rahoon have many country lads? You may as well be out in Connemara with some of the roads and wilderness around their pitch

Near the original campus, yes, that’s the place. Back of the hospital basically.

CK is a highly interesting case. When he was hurling Minor for Galway, I spotted that he is an extremely rare instance of someone who hurls lhot but grip changes to rhot for to strike – the opposite way round to nearly all grip changers.

I actually spoke to CK once on the phone for a technical piece I was writing. Most pleasant person, as I recall. He handled what must have seemed a rather leftfield query with aplomb and told me he is righthanded to write. He also told me Mattie Murphy did everything he could to stop him grip changing.

7 Likes

Sure castlegar was a country parish really, from the lake to the sea. The sprawl has long caught up. While mellowes were the city club. Rahoon still has the country vibe. Not sure what Menlo Emmet’s would be classified as. Rahoon lite?

Not so much. They’d all be country originally, but the city has leaped out to meet them from both town and knocknacarra. We used train down in dangan underage. They then bought the land in droim, well out of town at the time, but the housing estates are nearer by the year.
They have a really strong underage set up , and had a great arrangement for the new pitch whereby the land came up for sale, they couldn’t afford the road fronted bit, so split it with a businessman in who kept the potential sites, and they kept the basically bog at the back (the whole club is built on bog really) and they’ve drained it and are building/have built a second pitch.
Their catchment would be Rahoon and Newcastle, which wouldn’t be major strongholds, but mainly bushypark and tonabrockey, droim, and south towards a shadowy knocknacarra border.
Moycullen would be very defensive of their border.
The catchment is mostly one off housing. It’s a wealthy part of Galway really.

1 Like

There was a tremendous deli on that road in the early 1990s, as I recall. Seemed a bit odd, because the place was relatively far from established boho turf. I remember a girlfriend heading up there one day – her flat was on Dominick Street and so McCambridge’s would have been handier but Shantalla was actually better and cheaper. She returned with top notch stilton, apricot chutney and a great bottle of white wine.

Cannot remember the name of the place… Amazing the little things you remember…

1 Like

There was a great patisserie and butchers too in that little row.

Yes, there was. I remember the patisserie because she was sweet toothed, although I am not so much.

Do not really recall the butcher, because I did not eat meat at the time.

Was there a good video shop – for the time – up there as well? Think there was and that we got videos there.

I always thought the same. Uisce faoi thalamh…

Let a young lad off if he went to a particular national school…

1 Like

There was. Had a special folder underneath the counter. Led to the famous and true episode of a well known local bar manager (and good pal) getting a phone call to the bar, and the barmaid coolly turned round and said xxxx, the video library say penetrator 3 is overdue, and can you send it back.

4 Likes

True…

So many instances of that stuff. But can only say I found him really pleasant.

Ah they’re grand people. If he stayed around Kinvara might still be senior, but he wouldn’t have his senior medal.

3 Likes