Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

The phelan stone in Ballyragget

He has 4 all Ireland club medals you gom .

1 Like

I haven’t described myself as the greatest player of my generation. Many people describe joe as the greatest player of his generation. For a lad so great he’s an awful record in all Ireland senior hurling finals. He’s an ago maniac that costs his side on the biggest day.

1 Like

he scored 1-8 in 2015, 9 including the against tipp (semi final, clutch) in '17 and 1-10 last year

I wouldn’t call that shitting it on the biggest day mate

he scored 1-9 in the first match in 2012 out of 2-13
and 9 points in the replay out of 3-11

3 Likes

Meh I’ve no interest in that competition. It’s winter hurling and a poor standard compared to the senior inter county stuff.

1 Like

He’s a good free taker alright but He scored 2 points from play in 17 and 3 points from play in 2018. For the greatest player of his generation that isn’t a good return. Galway were heavy favorites for both games too it must be added.

1 Like

Joe Canning can’t help what people think of him.
Hurling is a team sport.

4 Likes

Can you answer this question, what hurling competition has he entered and not won?

True it’s a game of opinions. My opinion is he’s vastly overrated, an ego maniac and at this stage a hindrance on the Galway squad. I suspect a massive up turn in performance know he’s gone. Guys like whelan, mannion and a few more will step up.

FFS
If hurling was a game of opinions you’d have more medals than Henry Shefflin

yeah, those lads really came to the fore when the shit was hitting the fan in '18 final.

They looked for Joe and Joe delivered. scoring 1-3 or 4 when the game was gone for them… there was 10 or 15 minutes there where he was absolutely unplayable.

2 Likes

What?

He did go through the whole game up to that point without doing anything at all and all his scores were handed on a plate to him

Canning cost them a draw going for a pot shot from a 120 yards from a free. The guys ego knows no bounds.

it really is a measure of Joe’s stature that you claim he’s a loser but exonerate other players that have lost the same finals as him, thinking they’ll suddenly rise to his level, they’re not equally losers as him, as they aren’t Joe Canning. You judge him to a different standard, all the greats suffer from this

1 Like

What players?

Not so . Also the quality of the ball to him was shocking in the first half .

I agree that he could have worked a short free at the death . Lk were not prepared for that and it was on .

They’ve lost in finals too… but you don’t think they’re losers like Joe. Because you judge him differently, because he’s one of the all time greats

1 Like

He’s a centre forward, you can’t blame the quality of ball being an issue. If he was still full forward that would be a valid point

You love making massive assumptions. Whelan and mannion are talented young players. I think they’ll go onto be great players. They have to prove it obviously but I think they will.