Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Amazing player to watch, alright. One of a kind.

2 Likes

A good thing in the long run for Galway - time for a few lads to step up and take hold of the team.

4 Likes

Best free taker to ever play stick hockey?

1 Like

Galway star Joe Canning has announced his retirement from inter-county hurling.

The Portumna man became the all-time top scorer in the history of the hurling championship at the weekend but that remarkable achievement was soured by the Tribesmen’s disappointing 1-30 to 3-20 All-Ireland SHC qualifier defeat to Waterford.

The 32-year-old won three Leinster crowns and one memorable All-Ireland title in 2017 in his time with Galway.

He goes down as one of the game’s truly great players.

It probably is, I’d agree in the long run. Plenty of hurlers coming through, you’d nearly be stifled looking at a figure like Joe & realistically he isn’t the same player.

Thanks for the memories Joe. The right decision.

2 Likes

An absolutely legend. Took so many useless cunts to finals. 2017 was finally when team clicked.

Boy done well to give 16 years after O’Loughlin stood on his skull in Salthill.

8 Likes

He got the record. That’s the main thing. It was lucky Conor Gleeson didn’t maim him and he was able to take all those frees in the second half.

5 Likes

The best ever hurler, without question.

1 Like

Surely Galway’s greatest ever hurler. Carried them for years.

Yep, Joe will be remembered as a great, while Gleeson will be remembered for a couple of red cards and not much else.

6 Likes

At least he got the wan. I’d have thought there’d be a role to be found for him. Even with the legs going. Fellas are quick to retire him this year after a few poor games in a team that completely misfired

1 Like

I’d have between Joe, DJ Carey and Tommy Walsh for the best I ever saw anyway. What a player. Will be missed.

1 Like

The printer brigade hanging him out to dry … his body has been through a lot tho - he might have just felt enough was enough.

1 Like

A great player, won it all, owes the game nothing.

1 Like

He’s up there with Dowling and Cian Lynch. - I can give no higher praise.

4 Likes

What players do owe the game something?

2 Likes

OTB will be seething he didn’t give them the schoop.

3 Likes

I would have thought so too. Would need a savvy manager though, i.e. not O’Neill. You’d definitely prefer to be looking at him than looking for him. It might make a few Galway players stand up a bit more now.

1 Like

14 Likes