Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Won the first 2,lost the 3rd

Won 99, 00, lost 01

Achievement diluted somewhat by only playing 2 games a games though, or was there a quarter final as well?

Quarter’s too

Was Jack Canning on the extended panel this yr?

Surely one more dance Mike

He must be tired of carrying them by now.

Gives him the right to do it again if he wants

Didn’t see yesterday’s game. Sounds like @Malarkey nailed it in his column, Canning still has a lot to offer but it’s not at midfield, or full forward any more (I like PM’s columns generally but this was a particarly good piece). SON has a lot to take responsibility for, seemed to have Galway really humming in the league having never played his best team. When he went to select his best team then some of the selections were bizarre. I still think Galway have talent on hand to compete with anyone, they rarely seem to maximise it though. Canning has a big call to make now. He is an all time great and could walk away head high. Or maybe whoever is manager next year has a vision for how he can still contribute. One senior all Ireland is a poor return for Galway over the last decade, definitely underachieved, but when they play well they really are sublime, they’ve been involved in so many of the best games of the last ten years. I’d say no genuine hurling supporter would begrudge canning another AI if it happened (as long as it wasn’t against their own team).

4 Likes

Eugene Cloonan played minor and U21 for Galway in 2 consecutive years, if I’m not mistaken.

Andrew Quinn did the same. Would have played 5 years of 21s but was injured his last year.

He was a great white hope once upon a time, what happened to him

He was. Outstanding colleges hurler. Had excellent wrists and could win his own ball. He didn’t have the gears to do it at senior and a build closer to a loosehead prop meant he was nothing more than a solid I/C forward. Played about 5 or 6 years for the seniors. Did his cruciate in Tulla’s county final win in 2007 fairly finished him

1 Like

Joe’s in a bad way over it.

1 Like

He’s absolutely gutted. Surprisingly so tbh. 17 years senior championship is some effort. Ah he’s a fior Gael.

2 Likes

Officially gone - just announced.

He was some man for the sauce too.

2 Likes

One of the greats.

Probably best for all if he wasnt happy on the bench.

Sad day, what a player.

3 Likes