Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

What’s your fucking problem?

I just want to send the lad a card from TFK wishing him all the best. A nice gesture I would have thought, no?

Shefflin winning All-Irelands is less impressive than TJ not winning them? Fair enough.

You’d do him better by ordering a padthai and a tom yum soup the next time you’re in Limerick.

4 Likes

More to picking the best of all time by just looking at medals.

Joe gave way more joy to viewers than Shefflin ever did. Shefflin was a ridiculously consistent winner, and one of the greatest on the greatest hurling team we’ve ever seen.

Joe was just a wizard that could pull things off that Shefflin could dream of.

Shefflin is the most accomplished player of all time but as for who was the BETTER hurler, it’s Joe Canning.

5 Likes

Yeah, I would take on board your point, in terms of pure technical ability Canning was superior, no doubt about it but I think you are doing Shefflin a disservice, he set the standard in Kilkenny and played with a level of consistency and dominance in his pomp far greater than Joe IMHO. Shefflin didn’t create the same buzz or moments that Joe did, nowhere near it. When Joe would get a ball in a decent position you felt anything could happen here while as @Fagan_ODowd once said it was very true there was no real buzz with Shefflin because invariably he would get it and score or just make the right decision.

He was the best forward in the country for a number of years long before the Eoin Larkin’s, TJ Reid’s, Richie Power’s, Richie Hogan’s of this world emerged too around him too.

1 Like

in 2002 he had

Martin Comerford.
Eddie Brennan
Brian McEvoy
Dj Carey
Charles Carter

McEvoy and Carter were subs at that stage and Brennan was not yet the hurler he would become, 2003 was the first year he really started to shine and would have been in the running for HOTY only for a no show in the A/I final. DJ was well into his 30s and only returned for the A/I semi v Tipp from what I recall. Shefflin was there go to guy in a huge way for the first part of the decade.

1 Like

ah I agree with the point your making, Shefflin was the conductor he made average players excellent.

1 Like

I used to hate him when he played. But over time looking back it is hard not to appreciate just how good he was.

2 Likes

i detested Shefflin, not much as i hate DJ the fucking prick and his 14 steps

7 Likes

I have never recovered from him making shit out of McMahon in '02

1 Like

Anyway lads, less about the King, let’s focus on the Price, Joe Canning.

2 Likes

Who will be next to go? TJ, Hoggy or Callanan? My guess is Callanan and maybe even later this year.

I think TJ definitely will stay on for a while yet, he’s still at his peak really. I think the same with Horgan but I haven’t watched any of Cork’s games this year and somebody here mentioned earlier he wasn’t doing much so maybe not. Callanan could go alright

1 Like

2006 was the one that really marked him out as special. Went in full forward and was responsible for 1-2 or so in the first few minutes. We get a foothold and he was moved out the field. Gerry Quinn does an outstanding job man marking him but goes off with 15 to go. Game is neck and neck with 10 to go and Shefflin decides it’s time to put this game to bed and hit half a dozen points or so points to win the game.

I’d say he only had about a dozen clean possessions that day yet Kilkenny probably got 1-9 or 1-10 out of it.

Probably a little bit more pressure on Horgan to try and ride it out as long as he can in an effort to land the AI medal. Callnan and TJ obviously have the full collection.

Sean McMahon was a hurler I admired greatly in the early to mid 00’s. He must have been something else in his prime in the 90’s. Rarely gets mentioned as one of the great half-backs. Have his club completely fallen off the radar since himself and Jamsie retired?

They had Ollie Baker, Lorcan Hassett aswell. A serious club side.

3 Likes

To be fair to Callanan, he’s put in a serious effort to make it back from that injury that threatened to finish him. Is he 34? This year may very well be his last fling, though.

1 Like