Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Shur he works behind the counter in the yacht club.

He ‘volunteers’ I’d say. Anything to try get accepted while the rest laugh into the sleeves

What a cliche

Imagine you in a pub, talking about jump boots, I’d say lads you’d meet still laugh about and remind each other in WhatsApp groups years after. You’re a bit pathetic, at least you’re well minded here in the online safe space.

2 Likes

Predictable but still sad to see the snide comments from a handful of posters.

Also predictably they’re lads from ballygobackwards and fourmileditchwater and other such shitholes where they’d give their right testicle for a talent like jc

2 Likes

Canning had far more range to his game than Shefflin. Christ above if Canning ever had a supporting cast like Shefflin.

5 Likes

A wild game, I have it in my head that Canning was injured coming into that game too for some reason. Clare brought on Cian Dillon to mark him against doctor’s orders, it didn’t work.

No, this was a league game, a semi final I think. Debut year, he was playing corner forward.

Oops

Huh?

Yes basically. Roslevan was the club’s base and has become part of Ennis, they sold the old pitch and clubhouse for development and moved everything to a green field site in a fairly inaccessible place firmly in the sticks. They have great facilities but they lost their way as a club during the whole moving process and have struggled massively since. They are seemingly quite strong now in younger age groups but have been poor at senior level and were inter for a long stretch. Issues with football v hurling haven’t helped at times

Like I said, Shefflin was winning multiple All stars, HOTYs and All irelands with a forward line between 2000 and 2005 which on paper was no better than the 2015 to 2019 Galway forward line and had more functional hurlers on it.

What exactly do you mean by range? Ball in hand I’d agree with you but Shefflin could pretty much do it all to a very high level in any forward position and was consistently excellent at winning his own ball and creating for others and I’d argue his movement was a step above Joe’s too. Canning definately had better wrists and vision on the ball but Shefflin was more selfless and consistent as a hurler. Both are all time greats and very different in style and have been a pleasure to watch in their pomp.

1 Like

twitter.com

David Connors

@peterswellman

From a playing point of view, the biggest compliment you could give Joe Canning was, that no matter how poor a team he was in, you always felt with his ability you stood a chance. He unmatched talent always put doubts in the opposition’s minds #GAA#galwayhurling

12:33 PM - 28 Jul 2021832

@flattythehurdler can you see this tweet?

Thought Joe might stay on to play with his nephew on the Galway team for a couple of years.

That’s a big assumption on the nephew.

3 Likes

A Galway great undoubtedly but their best is another matter.

JJ was a better hurler.

Joe had better wrists. As regards hands & wrists you say Joe, Eoin Kelly & Tommy Dunne were sensational.

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct but when you consider what they have at their disposal in population and facilities they have made a poor fist of it in the last 15 years as a club

Will you stop. Shur we muzzled him in 01 & 05 without much bother.