Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

He was there as a 19/20 year old when they lost to Cork in '99 and played as a FF if I recall correctly. He didn’t announce himself like Canning v Cork but the game was different then, things opened up a lot more after 01/02

You may not be too far wrong. He was very dominant on what were strong LIT teams though, very strong physically. Eoin Kelly was pretty special in LIT too a couple of years previous and Tony Kelly gave some masterclasses for UL in their back to back campaigns.

They would probably be the standouts

2 Likes

Big James McInerney was a Titan at colleges level and overlapped with Canning

Jason Forde was an excellent player for UL too and often as good as Kelly playing beside him

All standouts, but was the learned gameplan hit the fucking thing into Eoin/Tony?

No, Joe was superb. He didn’t have a team of nobodies around him though. He was fat as fuck the first year he played too, waddling out to take frees

Games where Joe Canning didn’t lead Galway single handedly?

Vs Waterford 2021
Vs Dublin 2021
Vs Tipperary 2020
Vs Kilkenny 2020
Vs Wexford 2020

I can go on and on. He was a brilliant player but there’s no need for the hyperbole. Galway had a lot of good players. All of the Galway lads bar you accept this

They had Tyrell full back, Conor O’Mahoney at 6, Tannion at centre forward, James Mc would have 15 on his back and play in the middle somewhere. Maurice O’Brien from Limerick was another unit with Shane McGrath and Johnathon Clancy buzzing around in midfield. Skehill in goals as well and Bernard Gaffney another big man in the mix as well.

1 Like

Joe is the best I’ve ever seen do it.

Traditional missionary?

5 Likes

Who was better for Galway?

Bear in mind canning set Flynn up for both goals

All ways

Just found the 2007 team online. A fair team for winter hurling. Murphy from Kilkenny in the half forwards was a big unit as well, every bit as big as Tannion.

LIMERICK IT: J Skehill; M Walsh, J Tyrell, A Byrne; S McGrath, C O’Mahony, M O’Brien; J Clancy, K Murphy; E Caddigan, A Murphy (0-2), I Tannion (0-2); A Callanan (1-1), J Canning (1-8, four frees), J McInerney (0-1). Sub: B Gaffney (0-2) for Caddigan (half-time).

1 Like

He had a good last 10 minutes after an anonymous opening 60. Flynn was better for one anyway

Ah will you stop. Flynn caught an unbelievable pass from canning, as good as what was seen this year turned and lashed it, then canning caught a long ball soloed past a few and popped him a pass for his well taken second goal.

Unrelated kind of but Kelly scored 20 from play in a game for Ballyea

2 Likes

Right so Joe single handedly led Galway last Saturday. I’m sure everybody that watched him do nothing bar get someone sent off for 60 minutes would agree

The only player you can name who did more than him owes everything he did to perfect assists from canning.

Was that the big awkward lad?

Edit: I’m thinking of Gaffney. A big slob.

Canning scored 14 in a championship match against cork in thurles when he was 18 soooo