Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

All from play for Kelly, against whitegate in one of 2012/2013/2014

Yes, wrong hand on top and very one sided, normally a half back. But a bull of a man. Same man nearly decapitated Joe above in Salthill in 2011.

Gaffney was a big man too but soft enough with it

1 Like

Former Wexford hurling manager Liam Griffin remembers his first encounter with Canning at the Arrabawn tournament when he came up against Galway.

"There was a sideline cut right beside us on the touchline and this young guy put it straight over the black spot. He went straight back into the half-back line, was fouled and put it straight over the bar.

"I said to someone from Galway: ‘Who the hell is that lad? I’ve been watching him’ and they said ‘That’s Joe Canning.’

"I said ‘Is he anything to Ollie?’ He said ‘Yeah, he’s his brother.’ I said ‘You go home to Ollie and tell him he’s not even a superstar in his own house any more, this fella is fantastic.’

Indeed, Griffin believes that Canning is among the very best to have played the game.

“I would have him absolutely in the top echelon.” Griffin said.

"He was a better hurler than Henry [Shefflin]. That may sound bad, but he was technically a better hurler and Henry had to work much harder for the qualities that he had.

"Henry didn’t get on his team in college […] but Joe Canning was shining from the time he was a good bit younger. That’s where Henry deserves great credit because he had to work so hard for it.

1 Like

Gaffney was a big man who hit left with right hand on top, massive range but heavy

1 Like

You seem to be equating being the best player with single handedly which is not true at all. Jamie Barron was the best player on the field but you couldn’t say he single handedly led Waterford

I’m not saying Kelly isn’t unreal. But they aren’t the same player at all. The players I’d compare with canning are Reid, who has been better than canning the past few seasons, but not overall and callanan who hit serious highs but was far lower before and since.

Yes, that’s my point, Waterford had plenty of lads stand up. Galway didn’t. And that’s a recurring theme.

No I’m DELETED

Your post was “I can’t think of many days where Canning didn’t lead Galway almost single handedly” Do you now agree this was horseshit or do you think Daithi Burke, the Mannions, David Burke, Whelan, etc. have all done basically nothing over the years?

That’s fine and fair even though I don’t rate Reid as highly, I’m not expecting you to understand but Kelly has put in ridiculous performances for Ballyea year after year. They have punched many leagues above where they should

1 Like

Down to this lads 5 minutes left,4 points down. One sub left. It’s either Henry or Joe. Pop quiz asshole, pop quiz.

Joe

I started them both

2 Likes

Dow.

7 Likes

He’s got me in enough trouble today :laughing:

That UL team in 2018 was something else. Star studded.

Four of the five you mention weren’t factors the first seven years of Cannings career, and David Burke was a definite late bloomer. So throughout his career canning has led them more than any by far.

I’m trying to think of days padraig Mannion led them to a huge performance. Cathal in Nowlan park in 2019, that’s it.

David Burke v tipp in 2016

Daithi v Clare maybe in 2018 when he shackled Conlan.

You’re not really getting my point. Players no matter how good they are very rarely carry a team single handedly through a game. Canning vs Cork in 2008 and maybe a couple others would fit that category, certainly not most games he’s played

Conlon was injured before that game in fairness

UL had a team around 2010 when the recession was in full flow with about 200+ championship appearances. The panel was pretty much I/C senior hurlers exclusively.