Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

I didn’t see that. Slightly comparable to canning in his ability to do things no one else could, especially scoring goals, but obviously not on the same tier, before half the board jumps down my throat about it. Although I’d have Dowling right alongside canning if I had my pick of anyone to take a penalty for me.

This is a great post. You also left out that he’s not a Kilkenny bollox.

1 Like

Horgan has carried cork on more than one occasion

1 Like

Same with Tony Kelly, Callanan vs Galway 2015. It doesn’t happen that often though. It’s a sport with 15 players, you generally need at least 10 of those playing fairly well to win or compete

Especially forwards, they need backs to give them a platform.

The margins are tight and the greats win you games.

Joe is a great

1 Like

Sure we’ll leave it there. If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong.

If that’s the benchmark then you have to be looking in Eoin Kelly’s (Tipp) direction, he was imperious in the mid 00’s on bad teams

A level below some of those mentioned but John Mullane was consistently excellent on fairly middling to poor Waterford teams from 2008 to 2012 often raging against the dying light.

7 Likes

He had or has the highest average points from play per game, a fantastic player in his pomp

2 Likes

There’s no such thing as the goat, it’s all subjective. I’d put JC in the very very top rank though. I’d also out Tony Kelly there without doubt.

A lot of the Tipperary contributors and arch hipster @the_man_himself in particular really have it in for Joe.

1 Like

If we all agreed no one would talk about sport, it’s nice to hash it out

1 Like

Who else could do what Joe could? He had it all, a dash a burst, the magic and a nice little dose of filth

1 Like

How many wides had he?

Hard to blame them. He loved breaking their hearts.

2 Likes

If you needed a man to singlehandedly pull you out of a bad spot, you’d send for Joe. If you needed a man to organise a group of quality hurlers to get you out of a bad place you’d send for Henry.

4 Likes

That is unbelievable. I can’t even picture how you’d get on that amount of ball in so many scoring opportunities.

What differ?

Have you heard ‘Galway Bay FMs Commentary Of Joe Cannings Winning Point’ by Daniel Kelly - Balls.ie on SoundCloud? Stream Galway Bay FM's Commentary Of Joe Canning's Winning Point by Daniel Kelly - Balls.ie | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

2 Likes

He hit around 1-10 from play from midfield in a county semi final v the Mills back around 2018. It was an outstanding display for its simplicity so to speak. Nothing forced or overly greedy, just was in a different level reading things and athletically was on a different level, balls just broke for him and he capitalised. Mills tried a good few different lads but nobody could keep into him. It was a tight enough game too as opposed to a hammering.