John Delaney/ tugging off half the forum

I’ve seen comments on Twitter about it relating to Rio ticket touting ?

Dela is saying he provided the FAI with a bridging loan.

What a guy

A 100k bridging loan :grin:
The FAI turn over 10s of millions a year but they needed 100k from Delaney

They should ask him about paying rent

Wow I thought it was a bad day for Irish rugby but it turns out that the FAI nearly went bust. Woah that’s rough.

Mark Tighe was selling this as a revelation on twitter, but it turns out Mr Delaney just wanted to dip into his own pocket and help football in Ireland in private.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Ah that’s a benefactor we can all be very, very proud of.

100k, crikey that’s grim.

Does the FAI not have a bank facility?

Someone sold them a pup on financing lansdowne road

Who paid the costs for the court action tonight ?

I am sure we would have all done the same for our employers when they faced cash flow difficulties kudos to Mr Delaney

Anyone here an ex Bank of Ireland employee who set up the loan facilities with the FAI?

There must have been challenging financial covenants built into the deal (and some would say rightfully so given the FAI’s travails in the past.)

Fantastic to see Dela personally step in though.

1 Like

I never knew that John Delaneys father was involved in a major FAI ticketing scandal

Delaney’s unexplained €100,000 cheque to FAI

Mark Tighe

March 17 2019, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John DelaneySEB DALY/SPORTSFILE

Save

John Delaney, chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland (FAI), wrote a personal cheque for €100,000 to his employer in 2017. Delaney has refused to explain the reason for the payment.

Last night the FAI boss failed in an emergency application before the judge Anthony Barr of the High Court to prevent The Sunday Times revealing details of the payment. Following a three-hour hearing, the judge ruled in favour of the newspaper’s right to report the existence of the payment.

A copy of the cheque has been seen by The Sunday Times and its authenticity verified by several sources. It is dated April 25, 2017.

The €100,000 payment was drawn from Delaney’s account at Bank of Ireland in Waterford. The cheque was subsequently lodged at Bank of Ireland in Blanchardstown, near the FAI headquarters in Abbotstown.

Questions in relation to the €100,000 payment were first made to the FAI on March 1. In his ruling last night, Barr noted that it was significant that Delaney had 15 days to respond to queries from the newspaper and had instead launched a last-minute application to the court.

The Sunday Times has also seen a copy of an FAI “remittance advice” document made out to Delaney dated June 16, 2017. The remittance of €100,000 is said to have been paid based upon an invoice.

In the High Court last night, Delaney attempted to get an injunction based on the claim that documents seen by The Sunday Times could have emerged only from in camera family law proceedings involving his ex-wife.

The judge ruled that the rights of the in camera rule had to be balanced with the right of the media to report on matters of public interest. He added: “I am satisfied that the finances of the FAI and any payment and repayment to its chief executive are matters of significant public interest.”

Delaney is paid €360,000 a year as chief executive of the FAI and last year he got an extra €160,000 from Uefa, the European football governing authority, according to financial statements published last month.

He was elected to the Uefa executive committee in April 2017 and chairs its youth and amateur football committees. Delaney is also deputy chairman of Uefa’s women’s football committee. He has been on the FAI’s board for 17 years.

Delaney is likely to face questions about his salary when he appears before the Oireachtas committee on transport, tourism and sport on April 10.

The FAI’s last filed annual accounts are for the year ending December 31, 2017. Audited by Deloitte Ireland, they report related party transactions of €430,000 in “total remuneration for key management personnel” — the same figure as in 2016.

Delaney has previously defended his salary. “It is a 24/7 job, weekends as well,” he said. The prize for the club that wins the League of Ireland is €110,000.

Catherine Murphy, a TD and member of the transport, tourism and sport committee, has said she wants to question Delaney about governance, given the “huge” amount of public cash that the FAI gets every year.

The association has had almost €50m in state funding over the past decade. It gets an annual €2.7m grant from Sport Ireland. The FAI’s most recent accounts show its grants and “subvention funding” came to €6.14m out of a total income of €49m, mostly made up of ticket sales and sponsorship.

Anyoñe here whose opinion may have been bought by free t8ckts to a very Important celt game…

Were you merging English and Spanish there?

I’ve found John Delaney to be a very nice bloke. Helped me out with a personal issue a few years ago.

3 Likes

:eek: