Kerry v Tyrone - All-Ireland Football Final

I think this could well be a draw. I’d be very surprised if it’s not niggly as fuck with plenty of tearing into one another. Even if it’s negative and dour as fuck it will be a great watch all the same.

I haven’t seen any team announcements yet. Anyone got the inside track? I’ve managed to get sorted with a ticket and really looking forward to it. It has the potential to be a superb game of football.

The only change for Tyrone is that McGuiggan starts, while Stephen O’Neill has failed to make the bench. Got a ticket myself too, should be a good game, I have a sneaking feeling that Kerry might blow Tyrone out of the water.

Kerry by 5+, and prove that Cork have the second best football team in the country.

The Road to Croker - is this recorded or not?

They are discussing the merits of starting Stephen O’Neill and haven’t mentioned that he is not on the bench.

Anyone see the story on the bloke in his 70s playing hurling down in Kerry? Mad stuff.

Discussing the merits of Seamus Scanlon now. Reminds me of the Big Tree before the Wexford Tyrone game where two Kerry birds kept shouting ‘Come on Seamus’ just to let everyone know that they knew him personally.

In fairness one of them was quite hot but the other was quite not…

really looking forward to this game now - will be cheering on tyrone

might hed into see the minor- who is playing in it?

'Tis recorded the night before it airs.

I’ll take my chances looking for a ticket for this on Sunday morning. If the hurling final was anything to go by there’s a good chance there will be some floating around although football final tickets are always harder to come by.

Think it may be more like the 03 semi-final than the classic that 05 was. But either way, the more I think about it, the more I think Tyrone will win. Kerry still don’t like it when its really put up to them physically, and Tyrone will definitely put it up to them. Remember that in the 05 final Tyrone could and should have won by much more - a 6-8 point gap would have been a much truer reflection of their dominance. The two goals they conceded at crucial stages of that game didn’t upset them in the least.

Kerry have always found it very difficult to get scores from play against that Tyrone defence. I know Donaghy is there now but I’m betting that he will be contained. If Tyrone get on top in the middle third as I expect them to, Kerry may have to bring Donaghy out where he is not nearly as effective and thus disrupting their game plan to a large extent. Three of Tyrone’s back six in McMenamin, Harte and Jordan are just as good going forward as they are defending which means that Cooper and O’Sullivan will probably have to track back a good bit rather than just being left to concentrate on scoring as they usually do.

If Kerry are to win this they need to get a good lead early and hold it which gives them a better chance of playing the game on their terms. Tyrone need to keep it fast, furious and physical and to stay within striking distance by the 45-50 minute mark. The longer it goes on, if Tyrone are within a point or two or ahead, the chances are that they will dictate the play. If they do that I expect them to frustrate Kerry more and more and press home their advantage in the final quarter. Probably setting myself up for a fall here but I’ll increase the margin of my earlier prediction to a 5-7 point win for Tyrone.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]really looking forward to this game now - will be cheering on tyrone

might hed into see the minor- who is playing in it?[/quote]

i believe its kerry and mayo in the minor final although i could be wrong…

Seriously - if you don’t know who’s playing in the minor you shouldn’t be going! It’s Tyrone v Mayo.

I find it hard to beliveve that O’Neill isnt even on the bench, mickey harte is hardly stupid enouugh to start that circus if he wasnt sure!!! unless he started the circus to keep the attention away from the actual team…cmon tyrone

Harte said earlier that he named that squad to meet publishing deadlines for the programme but that O’Neill would be involved. Then one of the other selectors said later on that he was injured and wouldn’t be playing at all.

I’d say the first one scenario is more likely.

yeah, no interest in that- will head in for the start of the main game

should be a good game, and to be honest, I think a Tyrone double is on the cards. The minors will win handy enough I reckon, Mayo are a decent side, but I’ve seen that Tyrone team now a couple of times, and they have a set up the same as Kilkenny, in that the minors play the exact same game plan as the seniors. Big lads down through the middle, and the have a corner forward who kicks points for fun from the 45. Mayo had a very god win over Kerry after a replay, but they are Mayo.

In the senior, I think Tyrone can win it. They always seem to have a serious gameplan devised for each game, whereas Kerry just go out and play the same every day. They have good options in the forwards, but once their tactic with Donaghy doesnt work, they seem to not have a plan B. Tyrones half backs are unreal, and do a huge amount of work. O’Mahoney at centre back will really have to hold his position and not get dragged away, as Tyrone play the wings and then hit the centre at around the 45. It could well be a niggly game, Kerry wont take shite, but Tyrone arent the physical team they used to be, the forwards are small enough other than Cavanagh, and they rely on defending well but attacking very quickly.

Tyrone by 3

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]The Road to Croker - is this recorded or not?

They are discussing the merits of starting Stephen O’Neill and haven’t mentioned that he is not on the bench.

Anyone see the story on the bloke in his 70s playing hurling down in Kerry? Mad stuff.

Discussing the merits of Seamus Scanlon now. Reminds me of the Big Tree before the Wexford Tyrone game where two Kerry birds kept shouting ‘Come on Seamus’ just to let everyone know that they knew him personally.

In fairness one of them was quite hot but the other was quite not…[/quote]

Its recorded the evening before. O Neill is not on the 30, but he is on the subs bench. Great workaround by Harte, the 30 on the panel get their names in he programme and O Neill is still available to him, plus it keeps Kerry thinking.

There is no way that Kerry team will be the starting one by the way.

The closer it gets, the more I think Kerry could hand out rattling here.

I’m the opposite to you MBB and I’m getting more and more confident Tyrone will beat them. The official teams show one change for Tyrone with Brian McGuigan coming back in for Martin Penrose. Kerry have Padraig Reidy coming back in at corner back, with Tom O’Sullivan switching to full back and Tommy Griffin making way. Darragh O’S also returns for Michael Quirke. It seems harsh on Griffin who did well on Cussen but that was a specific ‘go toe to toe with the big man’ type marking job and Tyrone present a different threat. That said I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see changes before throw-in either - even Galvin starting.

She disagrees with you bandage, and whatever side she’s on…

This wan doesnt agree with you either…

[quote=“myboyblue”]This wan doesnt agree with you either…

http://www.squareball.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/squareball_kerry_fan.jpg[/quote]

Is that logo back to front?

Indeeding it isnt.