Kilkenny GAA thread

You either play on the top team (Senior/Intermediate/Junior) or with the Specials.

Ron and Piles will back me up on this. I’m just trying to remember there now, I know I played minor with the two boys but did I play on the Specials with them? They might confirm this for me.

Officially, it ceased being Special Junior a few years ago and just became Junior A and Junior B.
Everyone still refers to it as ‘Special’, and the teams are fondly referred to as ‘The Specials’.
Ah I remember my debut for the Specials at age 16. I was corner forward while one of the clubs elder supporters was drafted in at corner back due to lack of subs. He had to play in his shoes. My mother was agin it though. ‘Nothing but lunatics and ould desperados play for the Specials’ she used to say.
Great days Locke, great days.

Some craic. I went down to watch the Specials in Ballyhale the Sunday before my leaving started, to get my mind off the study. Not enough players, drafted in at corner forward, someone else’s runners, 2 sizes to small. Another players togs, shite club hurl. Always played with a helmet, no fuckin helmet. Think it was against Piltown. Scored 1-3, won the game.
Played v Carrigeen (first team) one time. Our FG threw the ball into the goal, ref gave it. The boys went spare, we just laughed as we were still tanked from the night before.
They’ll always be the Specials…

:o :strokechin:

Carrigeen was always a dangerous one. I remember Christy Whelan having to get the fuck out of dodge (Piltown) one evening after he called a match off between the Lockes and Carrigeen. The Carrigeen lads were not best pleased and chased him all the way out the gate.

Tis indeed - Winners of Junior B Championshipn in KK last year - not an official All -Ireland but yet a novel and commendable idea by the organisers to give the “lesser lights” a big day - "
gwan Ginkenstown"

Fine showing by the lads over the weekend, going down by 3-11 to 1-6 against our friends to the North, Carlow.
Well done to our noble kicking folk.

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 654289”]

Officially, it ceased being Special Junior a few years ago and just became Junior A and Junior B.
Everyone still refers to it as ‘Special’, and the teams are fondly referred to as ‘The Specials’.
Ah I remember my debut for the Specials at age 16. I was corner forward while one of the clubs elder supporters was drafted in at corner back due to lack of subs. He had to play in his shoes. My mother was agin it though. ‘Nothing but lunatics and ould desperados play for the Specials’ she used to say.
Great days Locke, great days.[/quote]

It used to be called ‘Novice’ in Limerick.

Further confirmation that Carlow is a talentless County whos menfolk are shit at all sports,only beating our lads by 11 points,they should be ashamed of themselves.

The lads went down badly to Leitrim today by 4-26 to 0-3 to round off one of the more particularly miserable days in our recent GAA history.

Mixed day for Leitrim.

They lost 6-27 to 2-6 to hurling powerhouse, Fermanagh.

Never let it be said that Kilkenny GAA supporters don’t know the meaning of real disappointment.

We are dedicated and proud followers of all codes Sid. Results like this cut us.
Real deep like.

[quote=“cluaindiuic, post: 654298”]Mixed day for Leitrim.

They lost 6-27 to 2-6 to hurling powerhouse, Fermanagh.[/quote]
:lol:

A crack London outfit just about managed to defeat the lads today by 4-30 to 0-4

A black day for Kilkenny GAA as their hurlers and footballers went down by a combined 13 points.

Richie Hogan still in hospital with a collapsed lung I believe, they reckon he’ll be out for up to 4 weeks. Bad news for him considering he was really starting to show his potential that we’ve been waiting to see for a few years.

Taghmon man Lloyd Colfer scored 2-10 of that 4-30. Hadn’t realised he was over with London now.

That aint good. Some clatter he got alright. That’s our main goalscoring threat gone for a while.

KK lads.
Is it true yer players only picked up a hurl for training for the first time last week?