Killie v Celtic - 7.30pm kick off

Please note the earlier kick-off time than usual bhoys. Celtic would win the title if they avoid defeat tonight. However, a third loss of the season for Celtic on the atrocious plastic Rugby Park pitch would take the title race to the final day on Saturday.

Killie have secured European football & Derek McInnes will probably get MOTY, if he hasnā€™t already. He always sets up his sides to man mark Celtic nearly all over the pitch, going back to his Aberdeen days. So we can expect Liam Scales being left with the ball again, all midfielders receiving close attention & Scales needing to get the first pass away to get the passing moves going. Players will need to be on the move constantly to drag opponents out of the way & to create space. Like most SP(F)L sides, theyā€™ll look to target the Scales/Taylor side of the defence with long, direct balls.

Not sure if the pitch will affect Celticā€™s starting side. Carter-Vickers sometimes doesnā€™t play on these surfaces due to legacy knee issues but heā€™s needed tonight. That Liverpool loanee Nat Phillips had a ā€˜mare at Killie in the December defeat. Theyā€™ve a very promising young midfielder, David Watson, who scored the equaliser at Celtic a few months back. Overall, I think Celtc are likely to be unchanged from the derby victory on Saturday.

Rodgers says he wants Celtic to sprint over the finish line & I reckon the players will be motivated to right the wrongs after the previous League Cup & League losses there. Celtic have secured league titles at Rugby Park on a number of occasions. There was a 6-0 under Lennon when Celtic had 3 sides of the ground. There was also the Nakamura injury time freekick back in the Strachan era & I think another 1 or 2 going further back. This time Killie are only giving Celtic the away end so thereā€™ll be plenty of empty seats in the home areas along with some Celtic infiltrators.

All match chat here please.

1 Like

That Nat Phillips was an abomination. They seem to play a very crude style of football in England that gets exposed when they export guys like that.

Iā€™d expect the same team alright. I think Rodgers will have us starting with a high intensity and a bit of early pressure will hopefully create a couple of chances to ease the nerves of the likes of @Bisto.

As much as Scales was poor on Saturday I think Kilmarnock had more joy standing off him when we had Kyogo playing as #10 and no Hatate. I think Iwata played when they beat us in that Phillips game so going for a more physical or defensive team wonā€™t necessarily work.

5 Likes

Given the biblical downpour in Govan last night I would have loved a predicted weather piece in the preview

1 Like

@Bisto ā€™s Scottish football end of season awards:

Manager of the Year - Michael Beale & Philippe Clement (joint)
Player of the Year - John Lundstram
Young Player of the Year - Dujon Sterling
Goal of the Year - Rabbi Matondo v Celtic
Top Goalscorer - James Tavernier (pen)
Breakthrough Player - Ross McCausland
Moment of the Year - Rangersā€™ thrilling come from behind 3-3 victory at home to Celtic
Services to punditry - Kris Boyd & Kenny Miller (joint)
Jimmy Bell Memorial Special Tribute Award - Commentator Tom from Rangers TV

2 Likes

Can we give an award to Joe please mate?

Goalkeeper of the Year - Jack Butland

1 Like

If Scales and Hart want to pass the ball over and back to each other for 90 minutes Iā€™m ok with that as long as Celtic get the point and this dumpster fire of a league campaign can be put to bed. Bar occasional glimpses the football has been dire and a putrid Sevco team has been allowed compete for the title. Wrap it up, win the cup and for the love of god spend money during the summer!!

1 Like

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

You canā€™t see the woods from the trees pal when it comes to your cross town rivals .it was like you saying Tillman did fcuk all for them yet he got named young player of year in Scotland :man_shrugging:
Sterling is a proper leader . Anywhere they put him he performs. They just havenā€™t put him sitting on mcgregor yet for some bizarre reason
I also think Clemente has given two very good pressers after the last two games.

1 Like

Youā€™re still petrified of them, pal.

And I donā€™t know if itā€™s INTERNETTING or genuine.

1 Like

Iā€™ve come to the realisation I detest Rangers more than I like Celtic . I donā€™t even know why Iā€™m so consumed by them

2 Likes

I usually ignore their games, as even though theyā€™re fairly shit, they still have vast resources compared to most other SP(F)L clubs & will win more often than not. I canā€™t be arsed watching them win 9 times to get to the 1 loss. As enjoyable as it would have been to see that recent Ross County defeat live, itā€™s also good fun to consume the match highlights & post match meltdowns afterwards in one sitting.

1 Like

Idah starts for Kyogo

Killie 0-3 Celtic

Admins???

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure Rodgers fully rates Kyogo. Even his praise for him after the recent brace against Hearts was qualified & heā€™s dropped him at times this season. I know you could say itā€™s a horses fuck horses (copyright Duncan Jenkins) selection on the plastic pitch against a physically imposing defence but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if we sell him in the summer after getting 3 very good seasons out of him.

1 Like

Im not sure. Think this is more pitch and style of play related. But I guess that Postecoglou guy who was here last year wouldnā€™t have considered dropping him ever so he definitely rates him less.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m reading too much into it - see bit in bold in particular. Heā€™s talking here on Sky pre match alright about taking the pitch into consideration & times when weā€™ll need to go more direct on it to skip the press & Idahā€™s a good reference point etc etc. Possibly a bit of column a & b.

Rodgers stressed the message to feed the forward quickly had remained consistent.

ā€œItā€™s never not been,ā€ he said. ā€œKyogo is the type of player that makes the run and his timing is perfect, (so) that if you donā€™t make the pass you miss the moment.

ā€œThereā€™s also times he has made runs and itā€™s not on, if Iā€™m being frank. But (on Saturday) everything was right, the timing, depth to his game, looking in behind, the pressing. Everything that makes him a really good player.

ā€œHe was tireless and fighting right to the end when he made the block. Thatā€™s what we always need.ā€

Tommy Burnsā€™ 16th anniversary today:

2 Likes

Hmm yeah hadnā€™t seen that. He may be just referencing the criticism that one reads sometimes about Kyogo making great runs that arenā€™t picked out in our new style and heā€™s more defending that than criticising Kyogo.

But probably a bit more to it alright. Iā€™d say there are times when weā€™ve needed a bit of an out ball to remove pressure and Rodgers got annoyed at Kyogo looking to be played in on goal instead of looking to hold it up.