King Henry of Galway (Part 1) đź‘‘

Come St Patricks day Galway clubs will have been crowned champions in senior hurling and junior football.

The county hurlers get off the mark against Kilkenny on Sunday who they ripped apart in the game of the Championship in 2012 while the footballers hold a 100% record thus far in this years league.

The futures bright, the future is maroon and white

[quote=“Lazarus, post: 739552, member: 286”]Come St Patricks day Galway clubs will have been crowned champions in senior hurling and junior football.

The county hurlers get off the mark against Kilkenny on Sunday who they ripped apart in the game of the Championship in 2012 while the footballers hold a 100% record thus far in this years league.

The futures bright, the future is maroon and white[/quote]
Great to have a dedicated thread to the fortunes of all our teams. It seems only right now that we have one jersey, one crest, for both hurlers and footballers. 2013 will finally be the year we get to Scaoil Amách an Bobailín.

Good work, Lazarus.

It’s a bit weird the two jersey thing…just will take time to get used too…can’t see the footballers doing much this year IMO…

Cody will be out to avenge the pasting we handed out to them in Pearse Stadium two years ago

Ah it’s long overdue with the jersey / crest thing, it was a fucking ridiculous situation, there must be the guts of twenty different Galway jerseys over the last ten years or so.

Hard to see the footballers doing much again this year, Is it any wonder Joyce walked away after the spineless capitulation V Antrim last Summer. I see Paul Conroy had a good match for Connacht last weekend V Leinster, scored 1-5, they still managed to blow a 5 point lead in the last 8/9 minutes.

Yes, that defeat still hurts him them greatly, I heard him say recently.

[quote=“Jimmy Mc Nulty, post: 739573, member: 1168”]
Hard to see the footballers doing much again this year, Is it any wonder Joyce walked away after the spineless capitulation V Antrim last Summer. I see Paul Conroy had a good match for Connacht last weekend V Leinster, scored 1-5, they still managed to blow a 5 point lead in the last 8/9 minutes.[/quote]
Joyce is a huge loss obviously but it was time to go. The footballers were unlucky not to get promoted back to Div 1 last year and looked the part against Roscommon. Everything hinges on the Mayo game this year but hopefully a (finally) fully fit Micheal Meehan can make a difference

Not sure if Meehan will ever be fully fit with all the damage to his cartilage over the years, but to even have him fit enough to tog and last the 70 minutes would be a huge bonus. Mulholland seems very loyal to lads who have played underage for him, John O Brien from Clifden, for example, started a couple of the FBD matches, but I just can’t see this guy cutting it at Championship or even League level. Hopefully we’ll see the likes of Peadar O Gríofa get a chance this year. There were a couple of other very good forwards on that minor team from 2010 like Shane Maughan and Conor Rabbitte, not sure if they’re still on the scene or not?

I hear from a very reliable source that they’re training behind closed doors behind closed doors in Nolan Park they won’t even the foreign exchange students in

Ya, flyin in training. Best two teams in the country, throw tha ball in. No whistle. Last man standing. Bla bla bla. Usual kk shite. I wonder which of their marquee players will get"injured" this year.

[quote=“Jimmy Mc Nulty, post: 739600, member: 1168”]Not sure if Meehan will ever be fully fit with all the damage to his cartilage over the years, but to even have him fit enough to tog and last the 70 minutes would be a huge bonus. Mulholland seems very loyal to lads who have played underage for him, John O Brien from Clifden, for example, started a couple of the FBD matches, but I just can’t see this guy cutting it at Championship or even League level. Hopefully we’ll see the likes of Peadar O Gríofa get a chance this year. There were a couple of other very good forwards on that minor team from 2010 like Shane Maughan and Conor Rabbitte, not sure if they’re still on the scene or not?[/quote]connor is still around as is Shane Walsh.the two of them are from down my neck of the wood…was lucky to train them @u 16’s and minor…Walsh is simply quality.hes copped on a lot from minke and filled out well too…I can see tis lad in oz playing nfl over there very soon…great footballer…

Sure we bet the pick of Leinster last Sunday. Heady times …ahead. Obviously an all Ireland hurling title is required and achievable if that wankstain Barry Kelly isn’t sucking off shefflin during the game like he did in the criminally drawn all Ireland. And a return to our position as footballs true aristocrats would be welcome, though we might have to wait another year for that. At least our position as the dominant club hurling championship is reinforced.

Is Tommy Varden Catering still going strong? Tuam was some wreck the night of the All Ireland in 98.

Laz is back to talk down to us for a few months.

[SIZE=4][FONT=georgia][SIZE=5]Strong Galway side for All-Ire final rematch[/SIZE]

21 February 2013[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=georgia][SIZE=3][I][LEFT][CENTER]http://www.hoganstand.com/Common/NewGallery/inpho_00628074.jpg
Galway’s Iarla Tannian chased by Kilkenny’s TJ Reid and Richie Hogan ©INPHO

nice odds for a Galway treble this wkend, hurlers, fballers and the Shloe;)
[/CENTER][/LEFT][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=4][FONT=georgia]Galway renew their rivalry with Kilkenny[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=4][FONT=georgia][U]next[/U][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=4][FONT=georgia] Sunday, and manager Anthony Cunningham has named his strongest fifteen available for the Pearse Stadium clash.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=georgia]Nine of Galway’s starting fifteen from the 2012 All-Ireland final replay are selected for this eagerly awaited Allianz NHL Division 1A opener.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=georgia]Andy Smith and Cyril Donnellan miss out through suspension while Fergal Flannery replaces Colm Callanan between the posts.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=georgia]The Tribesmen are also without a number of St Thomas’ players.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=georgia]Galway (NHL V Kilkenny): Fergal Flannery; Johnny Coen, Kevin Hynes, Fergal Moore; Niall Donoghue, Joseph Cooney, David Collins; Iarla Tannian, Aidan Harte; Jonathan Glynn, Niall Burke, Davy Glennon; Niall Healy, Joe Canning, Damien Hayes.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][FONT=georgia][/FONT][/SIZE]

Joe Cooney has been given his chance to nail down No 6.

Looking forward to Sunday.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 740181, member: 686”]Joe Cooney has been given his chance to nail down No 6.

Looking forward to Sunday.[/quote]
I like Cooney myself, God knows, we need to replace Tony Og at centre back - He doesn’t inspire confidence under the dropping ball, and even when he does win it he’s too gung ho in possession. Take the big galloping run he made in the Leinster final last year for example, he had ample opportunity to deliver it into the forwards but instead he ended up losing possession and the Cats went down and got a goal. He also took it upon himself to take two long distance frees in the All Ireland final (1st match) and unforgivably, he drove them both high, over the head of Canning, and wide. Cooney or Kavanagh would be a safer pair of hands, in my opinion.

There was a rumour that it was in fact Joseph Cooney that Cunningham had intended to introduce as a sub in the first All Ireland last year, but that somehow, it was Conor Cooney that was brought on instead, lasting only ten minutes. Not sure if there’s any truth in this, or how the hell it would even happen.

Galway were always aristocrats in the All Ireland for the 15 years that they gave it a go and only had to win two matches in a year.

Galway will win handy enough on Sunday. Probably by 5-7 points.