King Henry of Galway (Part 1) šŸ‘‘

No surprise. Portumna are finished and in the next few years will be back down intermediate.

have they a massive turnaround since they won the AI or something?

They didnā€™t build on the success. They are competing in B and C competitions at underage for a while now.

1 Like

Rugby Country now.

Certainly a factor.

Who do the local lads play rugby with?

Portumna RFC. Set up in the last ten years and play at grounds beside the castle. The soccer club has also become very popular, theyā€™ve upped their game and have AstroTurf and floodlights. Both clubs are drawing from the same well as the gaa. The talent that is playing gaa has other outlets, and Jack Canning is going to play In Oz.

Itā€™s looking like a time at intermediate level coming soon, we have had some great days out with them; when they were good, they were a great club side and have their place in history. They probably overachieved anyway. When I was growing up, the club has dispanded for a few years due to a lack of players. Theyā€™ve come a long way since those days, and hopefully they can do it againā€¦

1 Like

Portumna rugby have no underage team though do they? 1 mens team, some mini rugby and nothing else I thought? Canā€™t be losing many to rugby with that, especially as the rugby club would be drawing from more than just the one GAA club. You clearly know the scene better than me but I thought the main issue is just a lack of young lads in the area.

Iā€™m told that they have u8,u10 mixed, u12,u13, u15 girls , senior men, u14 boys & mini rugby.

The community school is still Senior A in the schools championship, but I donā€™t know how many lads from Portumna parish would be involvedā€¦

Portumna rugby had a u13 boys team a few years ago but have no team above u12 now except for the 1 mens team. Itā€™s typical of a lot of rugby clubs, huge numbers up to u12 for mini rugby but when it gets to playing proper rugby very little interest. Soccer is still the main competing sport for young lads and thatā€™s unlikely to change anytime soon.

1 Like

www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/293247

The 2018 U22 final

Itā€™s one way of keeping lads involved

Omfg.

The silence from @maroonandwhite, @Faldo and @Lazarus is deafening.

1 Like

They must have left davy glennon in charge of the money.

10 Likes

@Bandage / @balbec et al - what does he mean here by ā€˜seventeen were listed as high riskā€™ ?