King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

They’re building at underage at the minute. Won minor A last year.

Twas harsh enough tbf

1 Like

Yeah, harsh red alright. Cute play from Hynes (Sarsfields #3, not the ref), obstructing Canning and Joe threw him to the ground. He left the forearm in on Hynes’ neck and probably deserved a yellow. Either way, same result.

I don’t know where the parish boundary is or how many primary schools they are drawing from. When I was a young lad going to games they were regular championship contenders but I think the early 90s was the golden era for the club

They lost a few county finals narrowly, and every team that beat them went on to win the All Ireland Club Final (Sarsfields 92, 93 and Athenry 96). They had some excellent players in Murt Kililea, The Bomber Kililea, Ronan Walsh, Declan Walsh, and Kenny Walsh in goals.

I think they drew against Sarsfields in 92, but lost the replay.

2 Likes

Carnmore is Claregalway parish, but their traditional hurling families were primarily from the school road in the area called carnmore itself. The mistake they made was half resting on their laurels from the 90s half wanting to keep control of things tightly themselves. They never reached out to all the new families who turned Claregalway from a small village into a town and hugely populated parish and the club withered. Contrast to Claregalway football club who did and now have arguably the best underage football club in Galway. Carnmore are starting to get more involved but a lesson there for thick committees countrywide.

6 Likes

Shaneen clearly thought Joe pulled the helmet off.

Handy on the hurlers Facebook page where they list all the squads. God be with the days you’d know lads on every team around, now I’m looking out for selectors and the few die hards who refuse to retire. Mind you beagh have lads backboning the team that were there 20 years ago nearly.

Turloghmore would pull from Claregalway as well though presumably, and much further on occasion? A lad I used to play with would have his kids playing with Claregalway and Castlegar too.

The other way around really, Claregalway were set up as an independent club so they have always been able to go outside the parish lines to turlough and give them a football option. They took one or two from oranmore that time they fell apart too. And as you say one or two from castlegar parish on occasion but there’s no love between carnmore and cashel

What I mean is turlough couldn’t play lads from Claregalway parish as carnmore exists, but Claregalway can play lads from turlough and other places with no football clubs.

1 Like

Is Daithi the only Turlockeen kicking ball with Corofin so?

Yes as far as I know because of his auld lad. The rest have always played with Claregalway eg Barry cullinane,Brian donoghue

DaithĂ­ is more Corofin than Turlough.

Football the way it was supposed to be played on the box here

2 Likes

What a goal

They haven’t gone away.

Corofin still pretty good even with Fitzy retired and no Ian or DĂĄithĂ­ Burke, Steede and Martin Farragher.

Oughterard fucked away two great goal chances all the same.

1 Like

Another harlem globetrotters type goal for corofin to add to the collection, started by Bernie power. Here comes Ian Burke…

I’m watching Gaelic Football now for almost 20 years and I’ve never seen anything like this current crop from Corofin.

It was a privilege to see them in the flesh in Croker last January.

4 Likes

And another…

Reckon they might have had a 4 in a row in them.