"Ladies" of the 2014 Women's Rugby World Cup

It’s no different to the push for women’s sport and women to get great recognition generally.

I don’t have a problem with it so long as we don’t hear delusional shite like professional men’s leagues should support women becoming pro. At a level like this I have no problem. Associations and unions should provide a top tier in a sport even if subdised. No different to under 18 tournaments in soccer which probably don’t make money.

Encouraging girls and women to play sport is no bad thing. The England women’s soccer team rated quite well on Channel 4 recently, what’s the problem?

2 Likes

You can blather on about it until the cows come home and then some but you will never convince me womens rugby is acceptable.

This pushing women forward in the field of sport at all costs for recognition and to increase their self worth type shit is utter bs.

I reckon this will rate okay for RTÉ.

What’s the problem really? I’d say the Irish women’s rugby team will get the same amount of coverage camogie or ladies football will in a 4 year World Cup cycle, with this getting a lot of coverage due to the location.

If you don’t want to watch, then don’t. I think a minimum amount of coverage is justified from a national broadcaster personally. I’m not one who would say its a disgrace that there aren’t bigger crowds or media attention at all, it gets more than enough.

For rugby as a whole, World Rugby have to spend money in order for them to maintain their spot in the Olympics.

1 Like

The Matildas on top in Belfield .

The girls in green back on top .

Walaroos mate.

1 Like

Does Irish team have nickname?

Did the Irish team win?

Yes

Good for them.

They looked very happy.

The Heifers

12 Likes

A feel good story for the whole nation.

It’ll be a big weight off their shoulders to get the opening win.

Fyp

This thread will reach new heights / depths of misogyny .

1 Like

Good post Tim and fair enough. It’s a personal thing I’ll have to get over.

This is good. An article from Conor Pope in the IT about the la k of respect shown to the women’s rugby. He talks to the mother of Laura Stapleton who is going to play for Ireland but has the wrong ticket. There is no Laura Stapleton on the Irish team. There is a Nora Stapleton though. I wonder if her mother had the right ticket.

3 Likes

Women’s team sports will never get respect - especially when you can walk on a team having never played the game.

Laura/Nora there took up tag rugby when she came to UCD and now she’s playing for Ireland in a World Cup. That’s a dream come true in fairness.

2 Likes