Laochra Gael - Back, and to the left hand on top

What happened him, pal? Missed the programme & not familiar with his personal situation.

The drink.

1 Like

Completely agree.

Last years All Ireland football final was played on a hot day in July. Felt like everyone should be either on holiday’s or a Munster hurling final in Thurles. I’ve been lucky enough to be at a few All Ireland finals. And last year never had the feel of an All Ireland final.

GAA shooting the goose that lays the golden egg will come back to haunt them.

4 Likes

I wasn’t familiar with it either. But it’s an Irish tale as old as time. He was given time off work after winning the All Ireland final. Went to every nook and cranny in Donegal where there was a flake of drink put in front of him on a nightly basis. Went on for months. Sounds like it turned in to years of it. I couldn’t help but think of any Mayo All Ireland winning captain getting the same treatment.

1 Like

TG4 love the Donegal championship, probably because it’s one of the few they have unfettered access to. It’s going to get to the stage where all the decent county championships will go exclusively behind pay per view walls.

The hurling final was as tinpot an occasion as i ever remember attending in 20 years following hurling.

Not even a queue for a drink in Phil Ryan’s Hogan Stand an hour before throw in. Everyone wearing shorts. The heat really sapped the energy from everyone and it became a tick the box exercise of just getting through the day.

2 Likes

I wasn’t at it this year, but it looked fucking woeful on TV.

I attended the All Ireland Hurling semi finals in 2021 and 2022 and would argue that despite having a limited attendance of 24k or something the 2021 Semi Finals felt more like an occasion played in the traditional early August slot.

The great Waterford team will never know how close they came to it

He was a passenger in a car which was involved in an accident where the other party was killed. I think the driver in Molloy’s car was the offending party.

There was no reference to it in last night’s show but that can’t have helped his mental state either,

Clips of Tony Boyle in last night’s episode. He was a cracking player.

Wasn’t aware of that at all. Very difficult thing to manage no doubt.

Boyle was quality alright. Often wondered how a county of that size only has two All Ireland’s. I know association football is very popular as well as gun running and rallying. But still, it’s a poor return.

3 Likes

You’ll be drawing the split season zealots onto you with posts like that.

1992 was the first football All Ireland I missed since 1970. Chuck got married the day before in the Ferrycarrig and meself and Powery did the dog on it in the residents bar after. I didn’t surface til well into the afternoon. I listened to the match on the radio in the Red Opel Kadett on the way back to Dublin. O Muckerjig did the commentary. It was a relatively moderate Donegal team. Some of them played in the Dublin SFL and would have been moderate enough, like Brian Murray at midfield who wouldn’t have been a patch on Bealo. If you took Martin McHugh out of that team they were nothing really.

Dublin definitely left that one behind them.

11 Likes

Chuck O’Connor?

I agree with your observations but would like to add that to win an AI final a minimum of 13 of your starting 15 must reach and maintain their potential. You “may” escape carrying 1 or 2 until the manager shuffles things up.
On the day in 1992 the Donegal 15 performed to their maximum and some were never to repeat their heroics again. Dublin on the other hand had a raft of passengers on the day.

1 Like

Charlie missed a peno which only worsened the nerves on them of course. There was a stat that day that the Donegal full back Matt Gallagher didn’t touch the ball once. A classic case of a man doing a job for the team.

The wan and only.

I can’t even begin to imagine how heavy a day that would have been.

1 Like

I’m subject to correction on the Matt Gallagher statistic but from my recall it went that while he handled a fair share of ball he never put his boot to it, moving it via the accursed hand-pass at every opportunity.

2 Likes

:smiley::smiley: