Laptop Question

If you don’t mind losing whats on it you could try reformatting it?
Right Click in disk Management > Format?

[quote=“The Runt”]If you don’t mind losing whats on it you could try reformatting it?
Right Click in disk Management > Format?[/QUOTE]

There’s nothing on it, only use it for ready boost. Can’t format it runt because it’s not showing on that upper list with volume, layout, type etc.

You should still be able to do it from the bottom list?

Right click options are Change drive letter and paths, properties, and help. Can’t format it from here. I don’t think that’s the issue anyway.

Get to trainin, knuckle fuck!!

Training is an admission you are not the best. I am the best. There is no improvement to be found.

Is it worth my while purchasing a replacement battery for a 4/5 year old laptop? I presume one would cost the guts of €100 compared to €300/€400 for a bog standard new laptop?

Dunno if they’d be that much.

What is your laptop make and model?
Have a look on Ebay. Give you a decent idea of the price.

Get a new one you miserable cunt. I’m sick of that piece of shit.

I’d be very wary of buying a battery off eBay. They are generally of poor quality and are fucked after a few months.

Original batteries direct from HP or dell cost about €100

I’m sick of you, you piece of shit.

It’s a Dell so would buy direct from them rather than getting it off eBay. Presumably they’re expensive to encourage people to buy a new laptop instead. A devious ploy but one which will work in this case.

I should get a few more weeks out of it but taking out the battery and shaking it before i switch it on is getting a bit annoying.

Looking to spend about 500 euro on a laptop lads, what sort of specifications should I be looking at for that kind of money these days? presume things have moved on a fair bit since the runt’s post on the first page of this thread.

Am I still better off with the free anti virus rather than the norton they are sure to try and fool me into in the shop?
Should I bother with insurance they sell you? it’s around 100 euro and covers it for everything from dropping it down the stairs to a virus infecting it for around 2 years.

I’d only use it for general home internetting but may start downloading films/music now that I have a quicker broadband speed with upc…

The speed of your broadband connection is the main thing when downloading films and browsing. If it’s just general browsing and maybe typing up the odd word document then you should have no problems getting a good laptop for €500.

Definitely get a free anti virus software.
I never bother with insurance unless spending big bucks on a computer.

That’s big bucks for me! Ah I know what you mean probably won’t bother with it.

What should I be looking for in terms of Hard drive size, ram, speed etc etc? And which would be the more important to have more of?

In terms of this post, you’d probably want to be looking at 4GB for Windows 7, it’ll run fine on 3GB but I’d rather have 4GB.
The current processor range from Intel is the i3, i5 and i7. For your needs and budget the i3 would do you fine.

Something like this from Dell, it’s basic but would do the job. You might get a bit higher spec from Acer or something

I wouldn’t get caught up on Hard Drive size, given that external storage is so cheap now. A 260Gb or 320 Gb HD would be fine.
The RAM and processor are the main items that will determine your speed, but even the modest/cheapest i3 range from Dell would do you fine for light home use.

Good man thanks

A couple of points.

1. Solid State Hard Drives while expensive are excellent. They are much quicker and so quiet.
  2. If you are getting 32-bit Windows 7 only 3GB of RAM is usable. So getting 4GB+ is kinda pointless. If it is 64-bit you can go 4GB+

Good advice too
What’s the difference between the processors? Looking at one now with AMD Phenom™ II X4 P960 processor, what’s the equivalent intel one and what difference do these make?