Laptop

If the laptop is old enough that it needs the battery replaced I doubt you’ve a warranty anyways?

You’d change the battery yourself in 5 minutes tops. Get a genuine one if you can, an awful lot of dangerous duds out there.

My younger lad needs a laptop for school. Sixth class but he’ll use it in secondary school

Budget around 500

Is refurbished Dell way to go and any one of these you’d recommend

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/outlet/SystemsStockRoomDetails?lob=Inspiron%20Laptops&seg=DFH&cyid=7&type=S&brand=Laptops%20%26%20Tablets&pid=2

Thanks

The inspiron is a noble bit of gear. You won’t go wrong withe 8gb one for around 460

1 Like

Stay away from celeron.

The one for 460 has a ryzen

I’d go for €468

Ryzen 5 > ryzen 3

1 Like

Right the older lad has been approved to do his exams this year on a laptop (he’s been using an iPad for last few years but school said laptop is what’s needed for exams)

Should I go refurb Dell again or is it worth spending more on something like this - my only instructions from him were something small and light

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/microsoft-surface-laptop-go-3-12.4-core-i5-8gb-256gb-platinum.html#read-more-btn

A good machine, but a 12" screen can very small and you’ll find some apps don’t scale as well when they are running over Windows as opposed to iOS.

I’d go for a 14" screen as a middle ground.

2 Likes

Get a second monitor? they are very handy really and you can expense it to work or better still pawn one from IT supplies

Hardly be able to cart that into the exam with him

Probably a stupid question but how do they stop you accessing the internet for answers?

Pinky promise

Any recommendations for a basic/ cheap laptop? Mrs needs one… She mainly does her business accounts, a bit of surfing and arts and crafts stuff - nothing serious.

What???

He said he needs a laptop for his missus.

you’d be as well off going in to harvey normans or pc world - you’ll get something as cheap as you’ll get anywhere really lad.

That means people and queues. Plus they’ll be flogging chinese shite I’d imagine?

they’ll have the lenovos etc…

if you want to avoid peopleness have a look on here - you’ll get a nice spec for a nice price here

2 Likes

The spec doesn’t matter apparently. It has to be pink or rose gold :rofl::rofl::sob:

1 Like

dell do black and white… racist bastards